1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I buy a Fusion kit. What kind of tools will I need to be able to put the 1911 together. What are some good resources (books and/or videos) to be able to build the gun right?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Kuhnhausen Volumes 1 and 2.

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
To get mine going I have HAD to have the following:

Both Kuhnhausen 1911 Manuals:notworthy:
India stones, medium and fine grit (1 each, but I dropped one and had to replace it)
Arkansas stones, super fine (1 set of the four shapes)
Needle file set
Non-marring hammer or mallet
punches, brass and nylon (standard sizes)
screwdrivers and hex heads (standard sizes)
Break-Free CLP
Internet:biglaugh:

I decided to upgrade my capabilities by adding the following tools:

Sight press ($79.00) and Big-ass wrench ($4.00)
Power Custom Stoning Fixture and 1911 adapter ($140.00)
Foredom shaft Grinder ($200.00) [needed this anyway, but a corded high-power Dremel should work]

Note: Any gunsmith can fit your sights for you, grind the beavertail, and tune your hammer and sear for roughly 1/2 to 2/3 of the total I spent on the additional accessories. (I think the numbers are about there, somebody help me out here) Since I plan on building several of these, and my buddies have 1911's that need trigger work (and I am an Obsessive-Compulsive doityourselfer) I decided to buy the tools.

I have had a TON of fun building my first pistol. I have no previous experience building pistols. I have a lot of experience building guitars, though. Take your time and measure thrice, cut once. before you cut, stop and measure one last time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The list above is excellent, in addition I have found the 1911 AUTO SLIDE/FRAME RAIL FILE from Brownell's to be a very versatile tool with the 3 safe sides. Those stones need to be relatively small, and a set of soft jaws for a small vice and a soft bushing wrench keep the marks down. I use Dykem or Prussion blue to check fit and contact surfaces.
You can't go wrong with the Brownells 1911 catalog, just broke.

Another good source for many of the basic metal working tools you'll use is an Industrial or Mill Supply house. I have T&S Tools nearby, a great selection of die finishing stones, precision files, reamers and gauge pins both in .0005 incriments, cutting tools, vices, etc.

Most seem to agree that Kuhnhausen has the best technical references, mine are dogeared and well used. However, I also refer to Patrick Sweeney's Gun Digest Book of the 1911 Volums 1 &2 and THE CUSTOM GOVERNMENT MODEL PISTOL by Layne Simpson quite often for ideas and different ways of describing the same thing to get it through my thick skull.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To get mine going I have HAD to have the following:

India stones, medium and fine grit (1 each, but I dropped one and had to replace it)
Arkansas stones, super fine (1 set of the four shapes)
Needle file set
Non-marring hammer or mallet
punches, brass and nylon (standard sizes)
screwdrivers and hex heads (standard sizes)
Break-Free CLP
Internet:biglaugh:
Anyone have any suggestion on what brand of stones / files to get, or are they all about the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did mine with a small hammer, needle files, extra fine sand paper and household pots and pans (parkerized it myself ;-).

I will get a desent moto tool for the next one, hand filing is fine but the polishing takes time. I am completely a novice and am extreamly pleased with my results...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts