Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
No i wouldn't Ill stick to the 1911 platform for the 10mm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is an interesting thread from 10mmTalk. It is an interesting concept that would get a lot of people excited.

http://www.10mmTalk.com/index.php?showtopic=7623

What do you think? Would you buy one?:thinking:
I had an original and loved the thing. I did not feel it was great as a service pistol as it tended to be somewhat overpowered and shot time suffered. At the time, the S&W was THE auto pistol in anything but the .45.

Although it flies in the face of what is now "common knowledge" the Bren was NOT doomed by design. Colt tried to get the 10mm to work well in the Delta, and there were a couple others who wanted to cash in on the massive energy of the 10mm. The Delta could not hold up to the beating and subsequently the ammo companies "downloaded" the 10mm. Still an awesome round, but unfortunately, it doomed the Bren as they did not work well with the downloaded round.

The funny thing was the Col. Cooper was a big advocate of the Bren, referring to it several times as one of the finest combat handgun ever made. I was once fortunate enough to discuss this with him and he predicted exactly what would happen if Colt could not get the Delta up to speed. His quote was "If they can't get the strength of the Delta up, they will get the ammo companies to get the strength of the 10mm down. This will kill the Bren".

I sold mine, choosing not to reload to the old level, and made a bunch of $$ but should have kept it for nostalgia sake.

I probably won't bother with a new one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I saw that Vltor was looking serious at making another go at it (it's revival been tried before).
I am actually rather excited about it. I'd like to see a well-made version of the Bren Ten.

I had one, sort of. Mine was not a 10mm. It was a slightly different model they made in .45ACP called the Marksman Special Match. They were a special run for a suburban Chicago gunshop.

I thought it was a neat design...
...but poorly executed.
It had a lot of features that were ahead of it's time.
The grip felt wonderful.
It had some clever little details about it.
What I remember best was the trigger pull. It was really good SA, and had the best DA auto trigger I've ever felt. The DA was like a really well-tuned DA revolver. I've never seen a DA auto that had either a SA or DA trigger that was anywhere close, and it had both.

But it was a little rough around the edges. It used a lot of investment castings, and while my frame looked good, the slide's interior looked a little porous.
Since they had been gone for about six years when I got mine, and I was afraid of breaking the slide and never being able to replace it. I only shot a handful of rounds through it.
Too bad.

I always wondered what they would be like if someone made them well.

There is a book about the Bren Ten that came out about a year ago, called "Bren Ten: The Heir Apparent" by Ronald A. Carillo. With all the Bren resurrection talk, I broke down and ordered a copy. It came a couple of days ago, and I'm about half through it.
You would think there wouldn't be much of a story to tell, but there is.
This is one detailed book.
He talks to everyone involved, from Jeff Cooper to Tom Dornaus and Mike Dixon, gun writers who tested them, sub contractors, etc. It's close to 290 pages with not many pictures. Quite a story. Anyone who thinks they can start a gun company and build a gun should read this.
I don't know how they got any guns made.

I never really knew what the problem was with the company- if they were just trying to beat people out of money, or just got some really bad breaks, or were complete idiots, or what. After reading what I have, I believe Dornhaus & Dixon really did want to make what they called "Jeff Cooper's gun" and they may have had the design and toolmaking know-how, but really had no clue how to run a manufacturing company or any business for that matter.

Besides the Bren Ten, it goes into the stories of attempts at making the gun later by Voit (Peregrine Falcon) and Triton Cartridge.

Even if you don't give a crap about the Bren Ten, it's worth reading.

The book is available from the author for $22.95 plus $3.50 S&H.
Circle Ten Publishing, LLC
PO Box 277
Grand Junction, CO 81502
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id85.html

Here is a good Bren Ten forum http://nordicg3kscommunity.yuku.com/

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Reminded me of a CZ when I saw it. I am like Bud & will stick to my 1911. He definately knw more about them than I do. I am too old to change.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I remember having one a long time ago!!!!! I bought a Bren Ten and a Colt Delta Elite in stainless. I still have the Delta but must have sold or traded the Bren as I cannot locate it in my safe!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
99 Posts
saw an LAR in 10mm yesterday. HUGE pistol. not your CCW for sure but I'll bet it would handle anything it was feed , well, maybe not anything
oh yeah, they want $1550.00 for it

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes those are huge. I don't really understand why they offer the 10mm with that huge frame when it will fit in a standard sized 1911 frame just fine. They (Grizzlies) are kind of neat guns though. I would probably want the 50ae version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.