1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I finally got around to bobtailing my sig carry.

The first thing of course was to strip down the pistol, since I am using the Ed Brown Jig I measured the distance from the edge of the jig to the center of the hole that will be drilled. I finally broke down and got a better cheap caliper.

Next the jig is put into the frame and I measure from the edge of it to where the center of the hole should be as there is some guesswork. I drill first from one side with a small bit to make sure I am in the hole (I suggest using the smallest you have). Then I use a bigger bits hitting about every other size and move up to the 5/32 which is the size of the hole. The jig keeps it from going outside of where you want it once you get the pilot hole. Once I get the one side drilled to size then just go all the way through the jig with that bit and drill the other size:

When the hole is drilled then I put the bobtail housing in and make a line where I needs to be cut:

I then use a hack saw to cut it down close:

Next I put the housing back in and file it down:

After filing I use some fine sandpaper and then steel wool.

I still have steel wool work and then I will post a picture of it.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here's a close to finish pic, the pistol is all stainless under the nitron so I will probably strip down the frame to stainless:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The insides come with the bobtail msh and yes they use officers parts.

Well, this one is finally finished. Here are the pics, I had the frame and msh bead blasted. I took it down far enough to get rid of the old pin holes first. I'm happy with it:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
VERY nice work!

I was told to drill the new holes one side each.

NOT all the way through, but yours look perfect to me?

Hope to start my next build as a Caspian Commander build for a carry gun and want to do this for it!

Thanks again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts