1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any pictures of a well fitted (blended) arched mainspring housing?

I just received my custom kit from Fusion with the arched MSH and the corners of the frame stick out in space ready to grab anything that comes near. :bawling:

I have big hands and really wanted an arched MSH, but do not want to ruin a very nice frame by making it look like a cobbled up bobail job. Bob Serva suggested belt sanding it to fit, but I can not see it in my mind well enough to know what it should look like.:confused:
Any help would be appreciated.

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Vince, you have any way to show us a picture of the MSH in question trial fit to your frame?

It really sounds like you are looking at a bobtail housing in your frame rather than an arched MSH. The S&A arched MSH that I have stands plenty proud from the corners of the unmodified frame except it is about flush on the bottom as it should be.

I agree with AZ Husker... I would try some alternative vendors' MSH offerings before I'd put the frame under the proverbial knife. Maybe call Fusion (Serva) and verify the part number etc... Maybe it was in the wrong bag or someone pulled the wrong part for your kit by mistake. My bet is they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures of my dilema

Here are some pictures of my frame and MSH.
I like the idea of rounding the corner a little to keep the 'sharp' corner from catching or printing, BUT, the light and holo sight will make it way too large for CCW.

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Yep. You could take the frame down but that's gonna limit your choices down the road. I'd agree with AZ Husker, what if you decide that you want to switch to a magwell someday. From your description it sounds like a competition gun already.

·
Registered
53 Posts
id take the frame down to match if the part os a quality part if it is a cheap-o then try a higher quality part and see how it fits.that little bit of frame is doing nothing,and as ling as you are not planning on going back whats the big deal
pete

·
Registered
35 Posts
On the other hand... you could look at it as an opportunity to have a rounded butt on the pistol to lessen the amount of shirt grabbing it does if it's a carry gun.

I wasn't sure that I wanted to go to the extent of an Ed Brown style bobtail on my Colt CCO (still not sure about bobtails) so I rounded the butt like so:

It kept the lines of the pistol while definitely cutting down on how it grabbed and hung my shirt:

I found and bought Kimber arched Officer sized MSH that I'm reworking into a real arch (instead of the way it looks as supplied) Once I get the curve ground to where I like it and then rechecker it I think it'll be a nice and functional mod.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
You can't bobtail a cco (or any officers frame) with a bobtail msh anyway, the best you can do is cut it off and get a rounded butt. Here is a lw oacp with a bobtail housing in it:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
You rounded the frame on the CCO,or did you actually cut down a bobtail msh,stick it on the Colt,and blend the frame to fit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts