1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a Magnum Research BFR at some point, but they don't offer any barrel lengths that I am interested in. So, I thought if and when I do get the BFR, I might send it in to Mag-Na-Port to have the barrel cut to 5 or so inches and have it ported. Does anyone have experience with BFR's or Mag-Na-Port? I have read good things about the BFR's. Does anyone know about how much Mag-Na-Port charges for a barrel chop and port? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Magnum Research will make the barrel length you want if you speical order it it add's about 100 to the cost.. at least they used to the BFR is a beefy gun i shot one in 45/70 awhile ago ..

As for Mag-Na-Port they do good work i have a Colt Anaconda that was worked over by them before i bought it the trigger job is awesome .. as for the porting i think my Smith Wesson 629 Carry comp has less recoil and muzzle flip with the comp it has and its only 3" vs 6 of my Anaconda

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bud. I have seen some Mag-Na-Port custom six guns and they looked pretty nice. How did you like the BFR in 45-70? I have read multiple times that they are nice to shoot with the normal pressure loads. I would really consider the 45-70 but to get decent velocity it would need to have a longer barrel than I want (being a rifle round). I think I would go with a .454, as I like the versatility of being able to shoot .45 colts as well. I used to have a .454 Super Redhawk and I'm quite impressed with the caliber. My other thought is to get a ruger blackhawk, and someday send it off to Gary Reeder. I think that he makes some of the best looking six guns I have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i only got to fire a couple of shots but it was wild .. i didnt like the grips and would go with wood they were too small for my taste.. the 454 is nice i had one but was hard to shoot long periods of time .. i prefer the 460 over it

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here is my Mag-Na-Ported Colt Delta Elite just to see what it looks like. I really like the porting as it really did tame the recoil down a little bit. You have to make sure that you clean the ports very well as the residue is very hard to remove if you leave it there!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bud,
I have heard alot of complaints about the grips on the BFR's. I would likely change the grips as well. I do like the versatility of the .460, but I think if I were going to go with the stretched frame and cylinder, I would probably get .500 S&W mag. I wish that the BFR's had an intermediate length cylinder for the two above mentioned calibers. They are both in the super long cylinders which were designed for rifle length rounds. It is kind of overkill on the .500 and .460.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
the 460 is a longer round than the 500 and more versatile .. i have both you can use 454 and 460 and they are close to same poa poi 45 colt well just add a lot for front sight to hit paper

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the .460 is very versatile (3 calibers in 1). What is the heaviest bullet available in factory .460? The .500 was made somewhat more versatile with the intro of the .500 special rounds, but they are still pretty darn spendy. At least w/ the .460, you can use .45 colts which can be found for abundantly cheaper prices than any of the others mentioned (although not very cheap either). Man, if only I had a place to start reloading! Although, I've heard that even that is getting pretty expensive. At this rate, my guns might be relegated to ornamental and pistol whip only status :wink: If that is the case, I'll have to get rid of my combat Tupperware, and only buy steel!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
not sure what the heaviest bullet is from the factory i reload

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The heaviest i have loaded are 370 grain .. but i think 395 is what i have seen listed ..

Yes you can go heavier in the 500 .. I have loaded and shot the 700 grain bullets quite a bit .. the 500 shoots easier on the hand with the 700 vs the 440 grain bullet

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
805 i think is the biggest for the 50bmg..

I have to find the load date for them to tell ya what it is not handy right now ..

They call the 700 Grainers the T-rex Killers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.