1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my "Sarge's Grips" today & could not wait to get them on my gun. I was at the house for a quick lunch when the mail lady came & had to head for the hospitals after that. Took time to get them installed so I carried them today. Man, I wish Texas was Open Carry. These are too pretty to cover up.

Made of Corian. Used to make kitchen counter tops. These are polished as smooth as Marble. Sarge I think you have out done yourself. Enough talk. To the pics. Wish I was a better hand w/ a camera.:flag::1010:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hey LT, those things look good on that Springer. How do they feel as for holding the gun, and how do you think they will hold up with sweaty hands?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was really, Realy, REALLY concerned about that too.
I wet my hands w/ tapwater & was double surprised. They kind of tacky up when wet instead of slip. They are actually slicker dry than wet. kind of like a Buck knife handle does.
As far as real sweat, I will have to wait til I get to the range Sat. My son will be in & we will use the whole day out there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Those look sweeeeet. I just might have to try a set of those.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Full report as promiced. Sat morning now & it is raining here so I am double glad we got to go to the range Thursday. Preacher privilege.

The material.
As stated above the grips are made of Corien. a counter top material. Sarge tells us this is going to be a very durable set of grips for a "working gun" instead of a Roy Rogers BBQ rig. (I have one but the Springer is my real work horse)
If i do scuff them Sarge says they will resurface easily w/ 220 grit sand paper & the final time w/ 320 & an orbital sander.

The beauty.
The color is the grey w/ the white marble effect thin lines, small crater looking spots, & the wider ones as are on the bottom picture at the lower grip screw. Sarge I am sorry but I know there is probably a word or name for these marks but I do not know it. Help us there if you would. I know at least one other forum member has the same grips. These go deep into the grips through the grey & are not just surface inhancement marks.

The texture. Smooth but not slick is the best wording I can describe them w/. Since Sarge told me they were a counter top material I compared the smoothness of these grips to the household counter tops. Smoother than the bathroom top. Very comparable to the kitchen top & the color is prettier:biggrin:

The fit.
In a nut shell, they fit.
Precision is the proper word. I am an X-class A machinist & foundry Pattern Maker used to working with +/- .001 tolerances on pre-CNC manual lathes & mills. These easily pressed on but absolutely no rock or wiggle on the grip bushings. Went flat against the frame & the pics show how close the notch is cut out on the right side for the mag release button.

At the range.
I sweat a LOT. My first concern was slick when shooting. I first tested them here w/ tap water on my hands when I got them. As smooth as they are they were not slick when wet. They tackied up just a little like a Buck knife handle does. I knew range in the Texas humid heat of August would be the ultimate test. Smooth but not slick is the best word discription I can offer. I did not wipe my hands any more Thursday than before. It was not required for a solid grip on the gun.
I have shot long enough that the new grips were noticable in my hands for the first 30 minutes or so. In that time hands & grips "bonded" in a comfortable & stable shooting grip. Pics of the grips are above. Pics of the range work below. Sarge thank you for attention to quality. I like'em.:flag:

LT is tho old guy. LTs son MTICop on texaschlforum is the slim one. I love shooting w/ him. Just retired from the USAF & made this country a GOOD soldier that you can be prowd of.
Pictures taken by LTs grandson. MTICop Jr.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.