1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed Springfield about the rumor i heard and Vic also told me they were discontinued

Bud,
Unfortunatly, that rumor is true. Production on the Garand has halted due to a lack of parts availability. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Terry Bowers
Springfield Armory
www.springfieldarmory.com
1-800-680-6866
420 W. Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Several yrs ago a buddy of mine had an order for an M1 Garand with SA for almost 6 mos. They kept putting him off about when his would be done (new, not in for repair). We lived about 30 mins from Fulton Armory in Savage Md. Google them. He got to pick his up the week after SA sent his money back. Good rifle. Excellent value. I wish I had the AR bug when I lived there. Tracy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish i had the cash for one right now .. but well ya know

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True you can get then form CMP if you have the time to do everything they want.. but i Don't know enough about one yet and would prefer a new one with a Warranty

i know my CCw waives one of the requirement but the other of either shoot the highpower matchs .. or join a club they list don't work as the clubs want you to pay to much and donate so many hours sat and sunday .. i work every sat.. if i have to pay that should be Good Enough ..

Sorry Rant Off

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could join the Garand Collectors Association as it counts as a DCM affiliated club. The info you get in the newsletters wouldn't hurt anyway.
http://www.thegca.org/

I had a SA Inc Garand a couple of years ago, and it's the only M1 I've ever traded away.
Not that it was a terrible rifle, but it cost almost double what a CMP Garand ran at the time, and was not twice as good...or even the equal in my opinion.
I only got it because I had some credit at a gun shop and that was the only thing they had that interested me.
I admit that it did shoot well. But other than that, I found it lacking.

The receiver is cast, which can be OK in some cases, but I think one of the best parts of the Garand is it's extremely strong receiver of 8620 steel. The gov't did some scary tests on them back in the day and failures were very rare.
My receiver had really shallow serrations cast in for the elevation knob of the rear sight, so it wouldn't hold zero well. They gave nothing even close to a "click", and more of a "squish".

I can also believe SA Inc was having a hard time getting parts as they said, because mine had some, uh, suspicious parts. Some minor parts were unmarked and apparently reproductions.

I do understand the desire to buy a new rifle with a warranty rather than a 60 year old rifle of unknown history that comes with zero warranty.
For the money, I'd try to get a rifle built by a Garand-smith on a USGI receiver. Tony Giaccobe (The Garand Guy) makes then up with brand new barrels and a 1-year warranty for $895 and up. http://www.garandguy.com/issuegrade.htm
Some others are:
Deans Gun Restorations http://www.dgrguns.com/index.html
Fulton Armory http://www.fulton-armory.com/
Orion 7 http://www.m1garand.com/Garandparts.htm

If you go the CMP route, they are pretty good at taking care of people who have had problems with their rifles.
And, the worst problem you would run into would be a barrel that's so worn that it won't shoot well. A new barrel and installation runs from about $250 and up from a variety of places. A CMP gun at $495 plus getting a new barrel for $300 will give you a pretty good gun for around $800. I don't know what SA's were running, but probably more.

The best Garand forum I know of is the M1/M14/M1A section of Maj Dick Culver's Shooting Pages www.jouster.com

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you were Right Vic

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have purchased several m1's and multiple garands from CMP, always got a nice unit, they are used,but typically if not happy send it back and they will send another, I presently have 8 of the manufacturers of the M1, and several of the Garand, love to shoot them,
I belong to the Garand Collectors club and it sends out a quarterly booklet with a plethera of info ( word of the day).
CMP is also offering some top grade units for around the 850.00 mark plus or minus, oughta get one before they are gone.
rj in arizona.

·
Registered
6 Posts
get yourself a CMP garand.you will be surprised how much you enjoy shooting it. and be sure and get plenty of CMP mil-surplus ammo. at a quarter a pop its hard to beat.if you have never fired one, you are in for a treat

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm waiting on a service grade Garand myself. The requirements aren't all that bothersome, and you can save several hundred dollars off what you would spend should you decide to get one of the new ones.

I think the Garand Collector's Association is easy to join, and membership only costs $25 IIRC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.