1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, MTICop on the other board I Mod, has been down for a 6 day week w/ the Grandkids. Just retired from USAF. Daughter in Law could not come due to no more vacation after all the Military retirement festivities. We made 2 range trips. One was the 3 generations on Thursday all afternoon. We wanted to go Sat morning but rained til nearly noon & the family gathering was that day.
Monday was bright & pretty. Mom took off work & we loaded up & 4 generations of shooters hit the range about 8:00. Home a little after 2:00 & had the clean up to do. Hot family fun. I will cherish the pics & memories of Monday for life. Hope you enjoy them too.

Little Cop under the watchful eye of Dad just visible at the right. Shooting plates at 30yds. His 1st time on a plate rack. He quickly put away the 6x8 figures & went to the 3X5s. I have 3 that are 2"high by 3"long & he really liked them.

LT & the Cop after the plate rack.

Mom likes the plate rack too. She will be 78 in 3 more days & still hits what she shoots at. She is another one that gives the phrase "shoots like a girl" a very challenging meaning. Baretta PX4 Storm in this pic. Carry gun is a Sig 232.

LittleCop moving & engaging the BGs under the watchful eye of Dad. Weapon is a Walther .22 & he is holding the 8 ring on a standard B-27 qualifyong target while moving & shooting. This is a 10 yrd line & at the end he takes down a small popper & one plate. Guess you can tell Papa is prowd. Empty home made plate racks in the background.

Wrapped the day up w/ the AR at 45yds. (couldnot get 50 w/o changing ranges). 20 rds & all in the 10 ring. Dad was a good Drill Instructor & does a great job w/ son.

Home & all are clean now. 4 generations of shooters on the line.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congratulations on such a special opportunity and thank you for sharing it with all of us. I recently had the chance to spend a day at the range with my Dad and my best friend since childhood. It was our first time to the range together and it reminded how the shooting sports can be a great way to celebrate time together as family and friends.

Needless to say, it looks like a great time was had by all.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
LT,that is too cool. I can't wait to take my son to the range (he's still got a few years to go),and come to think of it,I probably oughta take my dad too. :)

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Nice and nice family Jerry, it's great doing stuff like this together.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LT,that is too cool. I can't wait to take my son to the range (he's still got a few years to go),and come to think of it,I probably oughta take my dad too. :)
Take you Dad by all means. That will be a 3 generation shoot. keep your pictures & go over them often.

·
Registered
394 Posts
That is just so cool. This year when deer season rolls around, we will have 4 generations out in the woods.....my dad, me, my son, and his 7 year old daughter. She was really mad that she didn`t make it out last year!! But she has begun her lessons with a .22, and can`t wait to be in the blind with one of us.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is great. I have a 10yr old granddaughter that goes w/ me some & her dad too. She shoots her .22 also. (I have 2 more to give away if they show an interest)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Fine lookin crew you got there LT...

There ain't NOTHING like family...I'm gonna try to get out with my son this weekend, he's done got some rounds he reloaded that he wants to try in his 243 (workin up deer loads) and I need to see what my new 308 will do now that its back from repair.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love to see the young'uns loading too.
Micah took back w/ him my book, "The ABCs Of Loading." He is retired now & ready to start loading his too.
Good job w/ the son.:wavey:

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir, I sure am a blessed man. Glad you had a great family day too. Wish everyone had an outdoor range that allowed the training we are able to do.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
I just wish I could get my Dad to go. Anymore, he just wants to sit around the Senior apartment. It is almost like he is just waiting to die sometimes.:frown::bawling:

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just wish I could get my Dad to go. Anymore, he just wants to sit around the Senior apartment. It is almost like he is just waiting to die sometimes.:frown::bawling:
Man, that's a hard one. I watched both of my parents suffer the same kind of 'giving up' attitude. It's like they see the end, but it's not even close yet. It can take years to finally arrive!

Best advice I have is to get him to do what he used to like to do. Hunt, fish, drive on Sundays, go to the VFW, visit the old home town, have a beer... whatever he liked to do years ago.

Don't make it a sad thing, like remembering the old days, just make it a 'thing'. Take a buddy or your son or daughter. Have some fun.
Do it more than once or he'll be pissed!

Ya gotta give him some hope. Nobody wants to die alone.
Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.