1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the El-Cheap-O category, with absolute limits for a new 1911 gun purchase of $350 - $500 are there any strong feelings concerning the quality as to which of the following would be ranked highest or most preferred?

American Classic, American Tactical, Armscor Rock Island Armory, ATI Firepower, Auto Ordnance Thompson, Chiappa, Cimarron, Citadel / Howa, Iver Johnson, MetroArms, Para USA, Taylor's & Co., and Taurus

[The above list was gleaned from WikiArms' listing, just as a point of reference] First-hand, owner comments most welcome. Perhaps your first and second choice? (And yes, I understand for just $50 more... for just $100 more... (etc.) I could get a xxx but that's not the question being asked).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have seen & handled two Armscor ( Philippines) 1911's.
Price was as low as could be... for the features & craftsmanship. $ 585 & $675
If I didn't have the Colt & Sig .45's. I would have a flat black , or parkerized .45 ACP.
Accepting an Armscor, as a present of gratitude.. no problemo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wiki arms shows a 5" full size GI government type model that Anacortes Gun Shop has in stock for $461.11. It's Duracoat and they show to have 20 in stock. I've never ordered from them and I see they're in Washington state. Generally, I see good comments about the RIA 1911s (for the money). But I'm not familiar with many of the other makes so I was just trying to get some feedback (good or bad) about some of the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to have/carry a Taurus 845. But, though a great gun, I was a bit too big for EDC. I traded it for an ATI Titan light weight. It must have been on sale as it was just a little over $400. It shoots great & I've no complain with the construction quality. BTY, my other guns are mostly all metal S&W DA/DA models plus a Walther P'38.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a MetroArms American Classic II duo-tone 5" that is a complete tack driver. Picked it up a few years ago for about $485

Sorry pics not too clean, it's bottom L

·
Registered
327 Posts
Personally, I would go for an RIA. Nice gun for a low price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still paying attention to the responses: Thanks for the comments and insights!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, let us know your impressions. Looks pretty much like a straight up government model. (Make sure the slide is well oiled/lubed).

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about the Turkish makers, Girsan ot Tisa? I had a Girsan for a couple of years and could shake it like crazy and not get the first rattle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at a Tisa - which doesn't look too bad for a heavy range use / "beater" 1911 model. The only real complaint I've seen are the grip screws apparently aren't standard [American?] threads or some such thing.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
In the El-Cheap-O category, with absolute limits for a new 1911 gun purchase of $350 - $500 are there any strong feelings concerning the quality as to which of the following would be ranked highest or most preferred?

American Classic, American Tactical, Armscor Rock Island Armory, ATI Firepower, Auto Ordnance Thompson, Chiappa, Cimarron, Citadel / Howa, Iver Johnson, MetroArms, Para USA, Taylor's & Co., and Taurus

[The above list was gleaned from WikiArms' listing, just as a point of reference] First-hand, owner comments most welcome. Perhaps your first and second choice? (And yes, I understand for just $50 more... for just $100 more... (etc.) I could get a xxx but that's not the question being asked).
3 1911 .45's on your list are made in the Philippines. The American Classic is made by Metro Arms Corp.,The American Tactical & the ATI are both made by S.A.M. (Shooters Arms Corp) & the Rock Island Arms (Armscor). ATI (American Tactical Importers) will say S.A.M. above the right grip. That is the manufacturer. I have 1. ATI pays extra to have their name put on the side of the gun. Like I said I have a S.A.M. (ATI) ELITE.45 5" full size. The quality & fit & finish is excellent. I was surprised for the price of $330. It shoots low & left right out of the case. The 1st & only thing I have done is changed out those thin plastic grips for a set of Hogue wraparound grips. Now 1st round is dead center of the bulls-eye with the rest of the box in 3/4" groups at 10 yards. But that is the way I would put them on a list. 1. The American Classic (Metro Arms), 2.The Shooters Arms (ATI) And 3. the Rock Island (Armscor). The rest I couldn't say as I have no experience with them. But I love my S.A.M. ELITE 5"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a Tisas 1911A1 US ARMY model.
I was amazed by what a nice shooter it is. Frame to Slide fit is better than my Gold Cup.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow(!).... my Zombie thread from five years ago. Gotta luv it!
---
BTW, doesn't your Tisas use metric threaded grip screws?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts