1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading , bought some equipment back in the late 60's but never got around to using it . Now I want to. Their seems to be a lot of bullet weights and styles to choose from. (45 ACP) I have some Tight Group powder and wonder ,in you guys opinion, what would be the best bullet to order. I have shot some 230 grain fmj and jhp in my Fusion Scout. And they both work well. How about bullet weight ? Is a light weight bullet , say 185 gr. more accurate than a 230 gr ?
Thanks Ron

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Bullet weight does not directly affect accuracy...but it does has a slight effect on recoil, which can have an effect on accuracy for some people.

Lighter bullets have less recoil.

I like the idea of practicing with what I carry (230's)

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I too like practicing with what I carry, but you can have the same recoil between for example 200 and 230 .45. Recoil = Mass x velocity and you can reload a lighter bullet hotter and really not tell any difference in recoil. If you get too light though and do this it will feel like a snappier recoil than the 230. I have used 200 for practice and its pretty easy to reload it to where you can't tell any difference. Just try to use that formula and equal what you do with 230's and save a little on lead.:)

Bullet weight does not directly affect accuracy...but it does has a slight effect on recoil, which can have an effect on accuracy for some people.

Lighter bullets have less recoil.

I like the idea of practicing with what I carry (230's)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I practice with the bullet weight that I carry, and for me it's 185 grain. It's a little cheaper and a little more available than the 230 grain bullet these days.

Incidentally, I carry the Taurus 99% copper hollow point, which expnds to 0.830 inch diameter when fired from my Colt Defender.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
In real world no or hollow points would be very inaccurate. You would probably have to shoot at a pretty big distance to make any kind of real difference.

I don't pay too much attention to expansions ambi, I'm just a ccw person and chances are if I shoot someone from far enough away for one to expand I will probably be in jail. Of course it doesn't hurt to use it. For leos though it could be a big thing.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Hay , guy's thanks for the replies . Does bullet shape have any impact on accuracy ?
Ron

donno about the shape, but bullet consistency effects accuracy.

The most accurate, 'in general" from my experience are quality cast lead bullets.
Examples are Oregon Trail LaserCast .
Hornady LSWC are very accurate in my pistols too

Then FMJ and JHP

the least accurate are plated bullets Like Rainier and Berry's

as a "practical" matter, for off hand shooting/practice at "defensive" drill distance, they're all fine, and unless you're an expert marksman, you probably won't notice accuracy difference from one to another.
Maybe point of aim differences, though.

It's not til you stretch out the distance that you start to notice wider groups with some bullets over others.

personally, with my skill level, I really don't notice much difference even at 20-25 yards shooting off hand.
It's not til I shoot from the rest that the group size differences become apparent.

regardless of what wt bullet i use, in the last year or so, I make them all to make major power factor.
Before I started shooting USPSA, I made and shot plenty powder puff loads

..L.T.A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.