1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm very interested in getting a decent 9mm for range use based on the relatively inexpensive cost of 9mm ammo. I have a Taurus Millenium Pro in 9mm, but it isn't a great range gun (double action only, small, light weight, etc.). I love the look of the 92fs and its legendary reliability. I also like the size of the gun. I have no shooting experience with them though. I'm wondering how accurate they are. Let me know if you think it would make a good "range gun." I'm also interested in any first-hand experience with a CZ Tactical Sport. I'm assuming they are a blast, but again, no experience with them. Let me know what you guys think regarding these two guns. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I have no experience with the CZ Tactical Sport, but I do have a CZ 75B SA which is the single action only version of the 75B.

It has been almost 400 rounds (390) since it has had a malfunction of any kind with a total of 700 rounds thru it. I think the “kinks” have been worked out of it and it is proving to be a reliable and accurate gun on the range. I am getting 3” groups at 10 yards from a standing modified weaver stance, and I am not the best shot around. I also have a .22 cal conversion for it which makes range time even less expensive.

In general the CZ has a good reputation for reliability and accuracy at an affordable price.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I may be biased,because my first handgun was a Beretta 92. I've still got it,and I've shot the heck out of it. I love this pistol,it's an Indianapolis PF trade-in actually,so it's got a lot of miles on it. This gun has never jammed,ever. Not once. The only problem I had was when the trigger spring broke,but I replaced it with the Wolff conversion and it has kept on truckin'.

CZ may be equally as good,but I vote Beretta.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I do really like the Beretta. I have handled a few of them, but never shot one. Same goes for the CZ 75B. I have never handled or shot the Tactical Sport though. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have heard that they have a SWEET trigger. Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Beretta 92's are extremely reliable under most conditions...and usually "combat accurate" straight out of the box.

They are not super accurate pistols...and most of them require a "6 o'clock hold"...as that is how Beretta regulates the sights at the factory.
I have a owned a few Beretta pistols...and I'm not bashing them here, only stating my experience with them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is strange that they would sight them in for a 6-o-clock hold at the factory. It is my understanding that most people prefer a 6-o-clock hold on target pistols, and that most combat guns are sighted in to cover the target with the sight. Maybe I'm wrong. By "combat accurate" do you mean under 4" at 25yds?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've shot a 92FS and a CZ75B. CZ fits my hand better so I shot it more accurately. I heard 92FS may need the locking logs block (I don't know if I have the name of the part correctly) replaced at around 15000 rounds or so. I think that part cost something like $40, so no big deal. Beretta will jam when dirty (unlike a Glock) and you really have to baby Beretta mags. Neither of these are an issue for a range gun. I've seen some master level guys shoot 92FS in IDPA and I'd say in the right hands this gun is plenty accurate. It's also a good deal for a quality steel 9mm. Brand new high powers go for $700.

IMNSHO :) I think there are 4 9mms that are head and shoulders above the rest: Glock, 92FS, CZ and High Power. You can't go wrong with either one.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
92 fs are not steel (aluminum frames...several plastic parts)....except for the "full steel" version...which ain't cheap and its heavy.

The locking block is usually fine in the 92's (9mm)...but in the 96 (40 S&W) they wont last long.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
It is strange that they would sight them in for a 6-o-clock hold at the factory. It is my understanding that most people prefer a 6-o-clock hold on target pistols, and that most combat guns are sighted in to cover the target with the sight. Maybe I'm wrong. By "combat accurate" do you mean under 4" at 25yds?

Donkey...you are right.

Its been a while since I shot my 96 Vertec (after replacing the locking block twice, its been a safe queen)...its not a 6 o'clock hold...it is the front sight covering the target that Beretta likes...I really don't like that myself. Sorry for getting confused.

Yes 4" @ 25 yards is about combat accurate by most standards I guess

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is my understanding that the newer berettas have the plastic parts (guide rod, trigger) and those from a while ago do not. If I'm right, do you guys know how many years ago they switched to plastic? Are there any other plastic pieces besides the guide rod and trigger?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I bought my 96 Vertec in 2004 (I think...but it may have been 2003)...it has plastic trigger, guide rod, and grip panels.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ridgerunner is correct about the frames.

to update my earlier post: this is from Beretta website:
"• The average durability of M9 frames is over 30,000 rounds. The average durability of M9 locking blocks is 22,000 rounds. "

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
I have a Beretta M9 which I think is about the same as a 92fs I like it ok enough. I mainly bought it for practice since I use a M9 with the military also.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By the way Sfguard, you are correct about the m9 being the same as the 92fs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but M9 is just the military designated model, and beyond the name, there is no difference. I think that not too long ago, they started puting light rails on the m9's as well, and I'm not sure if you can get a 92fs w/ rail.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
and I'm not sure if you can get a 92fs w/ rail.

Yes..its the 92 Vertec. But the Vertec also has a different grip...similar to a 1911.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.