1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a US source. I thought this would be easy, but it isnn't. Somebody gave me a pile of empties for an M1895 Nagant revolver, but they are Berdan primed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, OWS quit selling them. PMC stopped importing them. Bummer.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much going to give up on this one. All I hear is that "sometime soon" Wolf will be selling Berdan primers. But they've been saying that for over a year.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Sorry, No idea. Tough to reload. I heard that somewhere but cannot remember.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
My question is a basic one: How do you get the old primer out?

·
Resident Septuagenarian
178 Posts
Hold case head in a padded vise and with a hammer and sharp awl, punch at about a 45 degree angle and pry out.

I have reloaded many Berdans and have a few hundred I keep as historical value.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They do sell Berdan depriming tools, but there is an old hydraulic method for removing Berdan caps. Find a rod, or dowel or something nearly the same ID as your case mouth. You can always use a slightly smaller rod and wrap plastic electrical tape around it to fit the case mouth. Fill the case 2/3 with water, place the case in a shellholder so the primer can eject, insert the rod to water level, and whack with a mallet.

It sounds stupid, but it is a standard handloader's technique for depriming Berdan caps. I did it on 9mm Steyr surplus cases in the 1970's until Fiocchi started selling factory ammo. Do it in a sink or outside, because it squirts a little water out the two flash holes each time.

By the way, a Fiocchi press release many years ago said they were importing Berdan primers and shotshell primers, but I only see the 209 shotshell primer today. I don't know if they still distribute Berdan today or not.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Nicholas, that's the method I heard of a very long time ago. Once I read your post it all came back. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
IF you go to this website:

http://mil-spec-industries.com/

Then search for berdan you will see a button for quote. You click on it and it has a form to fill out for a "various" caliber berdan primer quote. You might try it and see what they say, they are supposed to carry them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.