1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rather strange thing happen today, Sunday afternoon, and it left me with a really funny feeling. I had been out this morning and of course I had my RIA 38 Super on my side under a long sleeve shirt. When I got home ( we live in the middle of nowhere in the woods), I had been working in my shop and took the over shirt off. I had just taken a small break and gone to the house for a sandwich when up the drive comes this rather beat up older van. One guy gets out (not white) and mumbles something about a gift bottle of detergent. I didn`t quite hear him and he heads back to the van. At this time I can see at least 3 other guys in the van. The guy comes back toting what appeared to be some sort of big box. By then I figured out what he was up to with a floor cleaning demonstration. I ended it right then with...I have no time for this...leave now. The guy noticed and asked me if my sidearm was a Beretta 9mm to which I answered heck no...it`s a 1911 38 Super. He made quite hasty tracks back to the van and away they went. The others in the van never got out or anything. My wife asked me what I thought of the whole thing, to which I answered....I think we were being checked/staked out.

What do you all think? Am I being paranoid? It just seemed darned awful strange that on Sunday, in the middle of nowhere these guys just pull in hoping to sell a floor cleaner?

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Can't be too careful...I live a few miles "off the beaten path" too....and would have done the same thing.

But they wouldn't have made it out of the van here...if they did get out, they would have been dog food...literally.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Kind of sounds like you were being checked out

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`m with you guys....I`m pretty sure we were being staked out. But, the fact that they know that I`m armed...maybe they`ll have second and third thoughts about coming back. I reminded my wife of the combo to the gun safe just to be sure.

It`s too late now, but maybe I should have called the Sheriffs` office just to let them know of the unusual activities out this way. But, I was so busy with what I was involved with, it simply didn`t occur to me until much later.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Yep, I agree - they were sizing you up for a potential robbery. If you also have a cell phone with a camera - get a quick picture or two while they watch. That will deter their return.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
It's never too late to call. You may not need to have a deputy come for a report, but you can notify them of suspicious people in the area. The next "victims" might not be armed.

I'd still call now. But that's just me. 16 yrs as LEO makes me go HRRRRM! Tracy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Today on the Atlanta news they were showing footage (taken from a home owners private security camera) of three men who came to the door of a house. They knocked, no answer, then kicked the door in and ran inside. In seconds they were coming out with a plasma TV. The guys that came to your house probably had the same plan for you:eek:.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sure sounds suspicious to me.

I had a recent scenario like this.

We live at the end of a road out in a semi-rural area. Not a lot of traffic. Doorbell rings and I go to answer. I open the door to find a guy who had already walked away from the front door standing in the driveway peering into the garage. My kids had left the garage door open. :hairpull:

I asked him what he wanted and he replied "I just figured out I am at the wrong house, I am looking for xyz house." I pointed to the correct house across the street and two doors down. He left and pulled in the next door neighbor's driveway. :nuts:

I watched as he went and bothered the next door neighbor, he came out and pointed him in the right direction. The guy finally got to where he should be going and was invited in but it made me nervous seeing him checking out my stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The purpose of a stakeout is to covertly observe. That these individuals drove up to you and approached you in person fairly well negates any possibility that you were the subject of a stake-out.

I'm intrigued that you saw fit to mention that the individual who got out of the van wasn't white. I'm not sure why you feel that is significant, any more than I'm sure you know what your audience is here. Is it possible that someone reading your post isn't white, too?

That it was a weekend fairly well negates any possibility that it was a giveaway, particularly as these individuals didn't approach you by name.

That the individual had to return to the van to get the box indicates that the box wasn't the purpose of his visit in the first place. That he didn't ask you who you were or confirm your address or name against a list for his giveaway also casts doubt on his veracity. The number of others in the van also brings that to question, indicating he had other motives for being there.

Seems that you were certainly justified in being armed, doesn't it? Imagine the alternate outcome. It's far better to be armed and not need that weapon...but your story sounds typical of many encounters when the potential perpetrator sees the weapon and gives up on the crime before it ever gets started. Much better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My only reason for mentioning that the man who got out of the van wasn`t white, is that in the area where I live, it is 99.999999% white population. That`s it......plain and simple. No other implication intended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whoa! Too strange... I had the same thing happen to me. Same mo, same story line, I counted 2 more individuals in the van. I happened to be carrying a not too concealed Beretta at the time. I also live in SW Michigan. Maybe the guy was a legit soap salesman... If so, he should work on his salesmanship, he scared the life right out of my wife.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Zed-----------------Welcome to the forum. Tracy

·
Registered
692 Posts
My only reason for mentioning that the man who got out of the van wasn`t white, is that in the area where I live, it is 99.999999% white population. That`s it......plain and simple. No other implication intended.
I don't think you need to apologize. Being politically correct or racially ambiguous is for the corporate world and 'sensitive' people. I wasn't offended at all. It doesn't matter if they were pink or green, they raised a red flag and should be treated as an adversary.

Those guys were planning a home invasion for thrills and profit. Get a big dog or two and stay locked and loaded. They may come back.
Stay safe.

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
Zed,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Being checked out

We live at the end of a road in a large metropolitan area, but we are very isolated. Surrounded by big park and private golf course. About every 4 years someone comes to the door saying they are selling newspapers, books, religeous materials, etc. These young gentlemen have no ID and are usually dressed in what would be called "gang" colors. I don't know who they think they are fooling, but when a 100 lb. rotty comes to the door with her ruff up and her ears forward they always step back off the porch. My S/A is at the back of my pants and a firm but polite "leave now" gets the message accross. You were being checked out for sure. My neighbor reported the last one and the officer told her to always call. He kept his car door between my dog and himself before I put her in the house and said "that's a very nice dog".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.