1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
banged these out yesterday.
Maple burl

I don't mind telling you, this burl wood is EASY to mess up.
The same charactoristics that give it it's interesting grain pattern, also makes it EASY to break when working with such thin material.

I've broke/ruined several near complete panels because of my TEN THUMBS carelessness:nonono:

Regular walnut is much more forgiving to careless handling

The next set of walnuts I make, I'll make like the grips in the top pic.
Then I'll try cutting some checkering on the flat.

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
looking good i want a set

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Lookin' good,Cap,lookin' good!

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all

looking good i want a set
Bud, I really have no plans to sell any.
Truth is, for the time involved with the tools I have, they'd cost a bundle if i wanted to make a buck.
And quite frankly, "if" I ever decide to sell any, I'd want them to be as near flawless as possible.

tell you what though, if you make a $25 donation to any kids charity of your choice, I'll make you set of Walnut grips for free

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
hey thats pretty cool if ya make me a set ill send it to you donate hows that

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Very nice Cap!!!! You are doing great. I really like your idea of a donation to a children's charity. My last 2 auctions on the forum have been for the Saint Jude Children's Hospital whom I support with a $25.00 donation every month. It is really not much but every little bit adds up!!!!:smile::smile:

Keep up the good work Cap!!!

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Very nice Cap!!!! You are doing great. I really like your idea of a donation to a children's charity. My last 2 auctions on the forum have been for the Saint Jude Children's Hospital whom I support with a $25.00 donation every month. It is really not much but every little bit adds up!!!!:smile::smile:

Keep up the good work Cap!!!
AutoMag, ours & the next guy & the next all do add up. One of my friends here give wagon & mule rides at different social events, holoween, carnivals, reunions,,, all for donations to SJCH.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Very nice cap, nice work.

I was going to try my hand before and even bought the drill bit blindhogg sells at the link, still have it, but never got the small belt sander I was going to get.

http://www.blindhogg.com/forsale.html

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jerry, the 21" belt sander Harbor Freight sells runs about $29 bucks when on sale.

I have one.
It's not the same quality as a Porter Cable or Millwaukie, but it's as good as any Craftsman, Ryobi, Black & Decker, or "home DIY'r" class tools.
(those are all made "over there" now too)

I own Bosch, Dewalt, Rigid, Porter Cable, Bostich, and Millwaukie tools.
I also own a bunch of " cheap Chinese" tools.
most of them are quite suitable for the guy who doesn't use them for a living

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yep, I was looking at harbor freight for it and probably if I ever do it will be from them. A table top drill press also.

I had a big snap on box full of snap on tools, a lot of impact stuff, for many years after I quit working as a mechanic and finally sold them a few years ago as I never used them any more. Even the wrenches and stuff I just used cheaper stuff around the house.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
AutoMag, ours & the next guy & the next all do add up. One of my friends here give wagon & mule rides at different social events, holoween, carnivals, reunions,,, all for donations to SJCH.
You are so right Longtooth!!!! I just cannot stand to see children in pain the way that they are!!! Every little bit helps my friend!!!!:smile:

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The maple burl seems to have an angular face instead of a radius. How does that feel?
They make the grip feel a bit larger than stock grips, AZ

Not as fat as a Glock or anything that bad, but they do add more meat that's for sure.
I'd say something in between a wide body double stack 1911 and stock single stack would best decsribe the feel

I haven't shot the gun with the grips on yet, but with a two hand, thumbs forward hold, they feel fine.
I like the looks of 'em too

..L.T.A.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My bobtail finally got some new shoes

here's few more I've banged out

I'm getting a decent collection of grips built up for work, play and "showin' off"

Don't know what the he11 I'll do with 'em all, but I'm having fun making them.
(and getting better too)

when i get a few more sets made up, I'll have another chairity give away

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
looking good Cap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts