1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what you guys think about AR's in calibers different than .223. If you have any, what do you have? I think many of the different caliber options are interesting. For example the 6.8 and the .50 beawolf.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. It seems that one of the most desirable aspects of the AR platform is its versatility. I have toyed w/ the idea of getting some different uppers for mine. I have no money right now and many things on my wish list in front of the different uppers, so I won't be getting any any time soon.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
I think the 6.8 is a great in-between round. More punch than 5.56,but lighter than .308. I'd really want one but ammo is fairly uncommon,and expensive.

The town of North,SC just bought 6.8 carbines for their patrol units. DPMS,I think.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also really like the idea of the 6.8 cartridge. Seems to be a great compromise between usable power, and recoil. I think that it would and does make a wonderful military cartridge for the above stated reasons. i believe that it also makes an adequate hunting round for deer sized game. All of that is purely based on what I have read about the 6.8 as I have no trigger time w/ one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
9mm AR

I have a Bushmaster 9mm rifle that I have loaded up for when/if things go bump in the night. Aimpoint, light, quad rail, and verticle grip complete the package. I have mine zeroed at 50 yards, which is plenty around my house (in the woods). I can't check the velocity, but I know there is a gain in FPS and enery coming out of the 16" barrel. Twin 32 round mags stagered full of Mag Tech 115 JHP +P+ and Remington 147 FMJ, that should just about handle anything within reason:biglaugh:.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only issue I have ever had with the Bushmaster was when I tried using some China Sport brand ammo (if I remember right the box was orange). The ammo would not fully chamber, that kept the bolt from fully closing, and that caused the firing pin not to get a good hit on the primer. To make a long story short, the rifle wouldn't shoot the stuff:plugears:. We're talking fractions of an inch here now with the bolt be held out.
I got the same results trying to shoot the stuff in a Sig 226. The slide came close to lock up, but no bang and only a click and a shallow hit on the primer. A Beretta 92 would shoot it all right though. The OAL was right at the limit for 9mm and there was a "very" heavy crimp on the bullet. I pulled some of the bullets, but deceided it wasn't worth the effort and just threw the stuff away (it was taking 4-5 hard hits with the bullet puller to pull the bullets).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
i'm Working on getting one in 9mm i wouldn't mind one in 6.8 but got to see if the round holds on or not

Dilbert are you using the plastic mags or steel for the 9?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Plastic/Poly

I'm like you Bud, I say plastic, but I guess the mag is some fancy polymer stuff. The Bushmaster factory mag is black plastic and I ordered up a half dozen Pro Mags from Midway. Surprise, they are the same. No names or marks are on the mags, now I couldn't tell you which one came with the rifle. I don't remember which one said what, but one company says they are 30 rounders and the other says 32, but they are all 32.
No feed issues or mag problems. I thought about getting some metal mags but the plastic do just fine, and they hold the bolt open after the last round. Some of the Uzi converted mags don't do that.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I like the 6.8, it has promise, but like someone said, I don't know if it will stay around. The ammo is pricey and scarce.
My dealer has a 458 SOCOM upper ordered. I want to see that one when it comes in.
I would like to get one in 308, and maybe even get a 204 Ruger barrel. The only thing to change with the 204 is the barrel. Any other rounds, I think would be too cost inefficient to mess with, except for maybe the 9mm.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it possible to use a .223 lower for a 9mm AR? I guess what I'm asking is, are there magazine adapters, or would there have to be more changes in the lower receiver other than magazine?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
you need a magwell block and mags but yes it can be done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.