1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Internet could soon be made obsolete. The scientists who pioneered it have now built a lightning-fast replacement capable of downloading entire feature films within seconds.

At speeds about 10,000 times faster than a typical broadband connection, “the grid†will be able to send the entire Rolling Stones back catalogue from Britain to Japan in less than two seconds.

The latest spin-off from Cern, the particle physics centre that created the web, the grid could also provide the kind of power needed to transmit holographic images; allow instant online gaming with hundreds of thousands of players; and offer high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.
Article

I'll bet Algore is pissed!
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
The largest problem is the infrastructure. Since it is - not - based on phone lines, there is no infrastructure. That will need to be built at the cost of $$$$s.

The article says:
"Although the grid itself is unlikely to be directly available to
domestic internet users, many telecoms providers and businesses are
already introducing its pioneering technologies. One of the most potent
is so-called dynamic switching, which creates a dedicated channel for
internet users trying to download large volumes of data such as films."

We'll see limited use or benefit in the next five years. :bawling:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Right. Although phone and internet companies have wired the company with the future in mind,this is beyond what our infrastructure is designed to handle. Until the utility companies catch up,it will have very limited use. I live pretty close to Scott AFB so I bet they get it first,and it will be available here soon after. Not that I need a connection anywhere near that fast,but it's a cool idea.

·
1911auto Supporters
341 Posts
Al Gore will try to claim it before it is all done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts