1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby and I are in the process of getting back into shape. Me more then hubby since I am the one that has had the 3 kids ;)

We are thinking of getting an elliptical because I have arthritis in my knees already (only 23 years old) and I have heard that they do the same thing as the treadmills but with less impact on the knees.

If you have one, what brand do you have? Do you like it?

·
Unemployed
218 Posts
I don't own one, but I belong to a gym and regularly use one as my primary aerobic exercise, and have done so for the past 3 years (I also lift weights). I'm 60 years old, heavy and have some knee trouble from an old injury. The pounding I take on a treadmill limits the amount of work I can do, so I can really get a much better workout on an elliptical trainer.

I don't know anything about brands available for home use, but I am a fan of this type of machine. I would suggest that if there's a store near you that sells a variety of brands, that you visit them and try several out.

DVC

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife has just about talked me into buying one. As Frank mentioned, my wife also reports that it is much easier on the joints than a treadmill - and a better/tougher workout.

We are still shopping. Wal-Mart has a decent looking one for about $400, but we haven't researched for reviews yet.

Hopefully, there are more on the board with ideas.

--jcd

·
Registered
473 Posts
I like riding a bike best but my wife likes the elliptical and she has knee issues.

Are you on a diet as well? One thing to remember is to try not to starve your body. You can lose good muscle as well as fat when working out if you are not on a good diet plan. Personally I do very low fat, and equal amounts of complex carbs and protein. Eat at least two servings of vegetables and take a multivitamin every day.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Buy a Highend one i'm sure you don't want to hear that but look 2k plus or get used to seeing the repair man unless you don't use it

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Trust me on what i said above this used to be part of the stuff i repair if you want to PM me ill tell you the brands to for sure stay away from

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like riding a bike best but my wife likes the elliptical and she has knee issues.

Are you on a diet as well? One thing to remember is to try not to starve your body. You can lose good muscle as well as fat when working out if you are not on a good diet plan. Personally I do very low fat, and equal amounts of complex carbs and protein. Eat at least two servings of vegetables and take a multivitamin every day.
Yes I maintain 1,500-2,000 calories per day...I cut a lot of fat from my diet a long time ago (had gallstones...so just got into the habit of not eating fatty greasy foods)...I am also currently taking Hydroxycut Max.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
John, I figured I'd rib ya there, hadn't done it in a while...

Figured that might get a rise out of ya...

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
I have a NordicTrack. I spent a grand on it and I have had it about four years. I do 30 to 45 minutes on it every day, and I have replaced the main bearings on it twice, at about 140 bucks each time.

I did the work myself, but it was no fun...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I have a NordicTrack. I spent a grand on it and I have had it about four years. I do 30 to 45 minutes on it every day, and I have replaced the main bearings on it twice, at about 140 bucks each time.

I did the work myself, but it was no fun...
It sure isn't any fun to put the bearings in what till the crank cracks.

·
Forum Supporter
141 Posts
I'm not so sure I like your tone

Jinxing my elliptical and all that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought an eliptical trainer from Sears about 2 years ago. My wife and I both use it about 3 times a week. Sears has an extended warranty, which we bought, but we have never used it. I think we paid around $600.00 on sale plus tax and extended warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.