1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, found the forum looking for information on different 1911 compacts. I'm shopping for a 3-3.5" barrel 1911 for carry, trying to stay under $600, curious if anyone here owns and carries the Springfield GI Micro. Its only a few more $ than other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I had one, spent more time trying to fix the FTE's and FTF's than I did shooting it. 1911s were designed to be a 5 inch gun. That's all I'll have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not quite as conservative as gottriplets is. I might consider a nice bobtailed commander for CCW work. I did get to put my hands on one of the micro-compact bi-tones this weekend. That particular model runs about $1100 bucks though. It felt pretty nice. I didn't get to shoot it. I'll have to ask my buddy how it ran.

3" 1911s seem to be really sensetive about springs and require more frequent recoil spring changes. The Springfield micro runs dual springs and they are a bit more expensive to replace than a GI spring. Not that you should be deterred from buying a pistol by recoil spring cost.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I myself have only owned one compact 1911...a Para WartHog.

It was best described as a single shot with a large ammo storage compartment...

It may not be what you want to hear...but I have to suggest that you save your $$$ a while longer and look at some of the "CCO" types (4.25" barrel on an officers frame) that are becoming available...they are a bit more expensive, but you will be MUCH happier in the end.

Examples:
Dan Wesson's new CCO (aluminum frame)
Sig C3

There may be a few others too....those are 2 that came to mind.

My opinion may be a tad biased though...my pistol, a Baer Stinger is on this configuration and I find it to be perfect (for me at least)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I just remembered...Smith & Wesson has a 1911 you may like...its the SW1911 compact ES.

But its not really a compact...its a 4.25 inch barrel and an officers frame, like I mentioned above....its also considerably more affordable than the others I mentioned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the input. I am considering the 4", but the 3-3.5" barrels seem so much more comfortable concealed. Will go back to the local shop with my bulldog elastic band and see if the 4" barrel conceals easier under a shirt than I've been thinking. I will look at recoil spring prices, not a bad idea to have a spare on hand anyway. I'm not set on the GI Micro, just doing my homework before buying. There is a range 45 minutes from here with a huge store that rents used inventory. Its out of state but I can have it shipped to the FFL down the street that does $15 transfers. Once I've been able to get range time with each barrel length I'm sure the decision will make itself pretty quickly. Thanks again for the input, I appreciate your time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am with the others here that feel that the closer the gun is to full size, the better. I have had good success with 4.25" guns but they are a little heavy. If I have to go really small then I have a Kahr E9, it's not a 1911 but is small and reliable.

My next gun will probably be a 4.25" with a bobtailed alloy frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I HAD a Springfield light weight Micro Compact. It was very fussy about ammo and magazines. It was reliable as long as I fed it Remington UMC 230gr FMJ out of a 6 rd. springfield magazine. Any other ammo or magazine and it would not feed reliably.
I traded this in on a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and have not looked back. The commander 4.25" barrel is just as easy to conceal as the 3' was. The bobtail grip conceals eaiser that even the officers size frame of the Micro Compact. The only downside to this particular Commander is the weight as compared to the LW Micro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a GI micro, had it about 3 years so far with no problems at all. when i carry a 45 this is the gun i choose. the only mods so far are better sights but i do want to do a few other things when i have a chance. so far it has been totally reliable and a nice size for CC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure that I will get flamed for this, but check out the Citadel Concealed carry. Its an officer size with a 3.5" barrel. I bought one for my wife, and it has been flawless. I paid 535 for it, so it is in your price range.

Jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a GI Micro on order, my current carry pistol is a Springfield V10 Ultra Compact 3.5in. 1911. I did have some feeding problem with some of my full sized magazines. After I got some Wilson Combat 7rd. magazines, for compacts, I have had no problems.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I usually carry a springfield champion operator, but i have recently picked up an emp 9mm. The emp isfinocky on ammo and has not proven itself to me as a reliable carry piece.
My wife's was great for the first couple hundred rounds and then started getting flaky. We called Springfield and they sent out a Fedex call tag and paid the shipping both ways. It ran much better, and keeps getting better.

It really runs well with Winchester white box 115gr. 9mm but it does not like my 90% power plated bullet reloads. I bought her a 50rd. box of 124 gr. Hydrashoks and it ran through 40 of them without a hitch so that is what she carries. She has really worked on her grip and that has helped the reliability.

She loves the gun, and shoots the heck out of it, somewhere close to 800 rounds this year so far. We were at the range the other day and she was consistently hitting a 10" X 20" plate at 40 yards with the gun. I was really impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also carrie a micro compact. I can pretty well agree with whats been said . only problem I had was FTF when the gun was new . after about 250-300 rnds. it cured itself !
My gun also didnt like colt mags,but it would run with any brand of 7or8 rnd. mags. I also have several outher 1911s of verious makes and berral lingths, but for ease of carry,ill
strap on the micro compact every time!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have three 3" 1911's, a Colt New Agent, Colt Defender and an EMP in 9mm. Each have several thousands rounds through them without a problem. I also have a Colt L/W Commander and Para LTC. Again, not a problem with either. The short barrels have been as reliable as my full size guns with any ammo that I feed them, including JHP's.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I have owned several oacp's, never had any problem with dependability. I think when a 5" messes up, it's "check the mags, etc." but when a 3" messes up its "1911's were not designed to be that short".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I haven't completely given up on getting a compact 1911, but I enjoy shooting my fullsize so much that I haven't been able to bring myself to sell or trade it for a compact. I shot a friend's taurus pt145 at the range, and couldn't hit anything beyond 10 yards with it, two minutes after tagging targets further out with the 1911. I know a pt145 isn't an apples to apples comparison to a 3" 1911, but it didn't leave me feeling very comfortable about shorter barrel pistols.

Being able to conceal carry the 1911 Gov with a jacket 90% of the time I'm not at work has removed the immediate need for a compact, but with jacket weather going away, concealing hasn't been as easy and its forcing me to rethink everything. Even though my 1911a1 copy won't bring more than $400, its the best shooting pistol I've owned (which aren't many), and so far its been a Cadillac ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.