1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this a little while back, but never posted it. It took me a while to find one, as Auto-Ordnance is, apparently, only shipping about 40 a month. Anyway, they are very solid feeling and shoot well. I've only put 50 rounds through mine, but it didn't have a single break in malfunction.

MSRP is about the same as a stainless Taurus PT1911 and it comes standard with the same long list of features with the exception of the ambi safety and checkered trigger gaurd. The features it does have, however, are more nicely done, IMO. The front strap actually has real checkering and the hammer looks more attractive than my Taurus' hammer.

Here's a few pics. Although the flash mostly drowned it out, the Thompson bullet logo is nicely done on the left side of the slide and also on the gold grip inlays. It can be seen better in the link.

Does anyone else have one yet? If so, what do you think?

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_1911tc_f.html

·
Registered
174 Posts
Looks great for the money, I think I'd rather have that than the PT1911, but the full length guide rod would have to go.

I;m going to get myself in a mess of trouble if I keep seeing all these cool 5" guns, what I keep telling myself is no more 5" guns until I get another Commander....

...I don't think I'll make it.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Looks very nice although I am not a big fan of FCS.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
looks good and if they got the QC problems fixed it would be a good buy .. But FLGR would have to go

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks great for the money, I think I'd rather have that than the PT1911, but the full length guide rod would have to go.

I;m going to get myself in a mess of trouble if I keep seeing all these cool 5" guns, what I keep telling myself is no more 5" guns until I get another Commander....

...I don't think I'll make it.
Yeah, I have the PT1911 as well and the Thompson is better, in my opinion. I like the full length guide rods as many of my 1911s have it. In fact, the Taurus has the full length guide rod as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks good and if they got the QC problems fixed it would be a good buy .. But FLGR would have to go
I think Auto-Ordnance's QC has improved a great deal.

I like full length guide rods myself. Many of my 1911s have it and I recently ordered a Pistol Dynamics Signature with a full length as well.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Thats a personal Preference i never saw what a FLGR did it sure don't do what they claim but add weight

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a personal Preference i never saw what a FLGR did it sure don't do what they claim but add weight
I tend to like the look. I especially like the two piece guide rods needing an allen wrench. They just look cool to me. My Rock River and Springfield TRP are like that.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
They look cool flying down the range too as they unscrew when shooting.. wasn't my gun

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
I like the pistol Big time and would be my choice over the PT1911, and agree with Bud on the FLGR, they are a personal choice that don't work for me. A Tungsten FLGR would add more weight if you needed one

·
Registered
14 Posts
bac1023 said...

I think Auto-Ordnance's QC has improved a great deal.
I hope so. I bought an A.O. government model 1911 A-1 back in
1986 or 87, brand new, wholesale, through "Shotgun News".
What a P.O.S.! First trip to the range, I got maybe 6 rounds through it
before I got P.O.ed and went home. 8 to 10 hours of gunsmithing later
we went back to the range. Better, but still not good.:hairpull:

Long story short, we got it running, but I would NEVER buy anything
with the AUTO-ORDNANCE logo on it again.:nuts:

Walter

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope so. I bought an A.O. government model 1911 A-1 back in
1986 or 87, brand new, wholesale, through "Shotgun News".
What a P.O.S.! First trip to the range, I got maybe 6 rounds through it
before I got P.O.ed and went home. 8 to 10 hours of gunsmithing later
we went back to the range. Better, but still not good.:hairpull:

Long story short, we got it running, but I would NEVER buy anything
with the AUTO-ORDNANCE logo on it again.:nuts:

Walter
I have heard stories like that. It has improved a great deal. Mine has been perfect from round one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I gotta float my stick with "Walter" pretty disappointed with my AA 1911, had nothing but problems, so it got cleaned up and put on a shelf and the RIA and llama took its place, I do need to get it back on the line, thanks for reminding me, it'll go to a smith and see if they can fluff and buff it some.
rj
rj

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I'm not familiar with AO 1911's. Do they have an internal firing pin block of some kind (series 80 or swartz)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a Thompson about 2 weeks ago. It is in the trunk of my patrol car to take back to the gun dealer. He has already sent an e-mail back to Thompson reference to all the problems. The area around the trigger guard was never polished. The breech face was not completely polished. I have fired about 75 rounds through this pistol and the nickel fininsh is chipping off the guide rod. The trigger pull is very heavy about 6.5 pounds. THe first time the gun was cleaned a lot of gunk and metal shavings were washed out of the trigger area. The gun has a very low serial number the last two digits are under 20. it appears to be an early model that has set in a warehouse for a couple of years. Hopefully this is not a typical example of the type of product Kahr/ Thompson is putting out. I will let you know how Thompson responds to the e-mail.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts