1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
1911auto Supporters
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finding, especially when I go into a gun shop, someone usually behind the counter asks what I am shooting and I say a Rock Island. Then the negative criticism starts. I usually don't waste my breath explaining the positives and that for the money you get a damn good shooting 1911. They usually have their mind made up, without ever owning or shooting one.

Although on the other side of the coin I have met a few guys shopping for a 1911 and are put off by the $1000+ price tag of many popular 1911's. We talk Rocks and 1911's and they leave the store looking to pick up their own Rock.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Let your shooting do the talking and don't worry about anything else.. I have a few highend 1911's and still have my Rock in 38 super .. still thinking about a rock in 45 to play with also most seem to run good out of the box .. As long as you accept its limits which with the tac model with the nice sights and beavertail aren't many

·
Registered
394 Posts
So far...not really. While this area is definately Kimber, S&W, and Springfield country, most really hadn`t heard or known much about the RIA. My dealer got me my RIA 38 Super a month or so ago, and during the 3 subsequent return visits to the shop....everyone is truly curious as to how I like it and the guns performance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The key phrases are "gun shop" and "Guy behind the counter" it's been my experience that many shop workers don't know anything about brands they don't sell and they all think what they sell is the best. Of course they will pan your Rock, in hopes you will buy their brand of 1911.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
There are a lot of people out there that think just because the weapon is not in the $1000.00 bracket that it is no good!!!! I just let them put a few rounds down range with either my Armscor or RIA and then some change their way of thinking. Of course there are still some that will never change and continue to buy the top end pistols or are to proud to say that "yes you are right, your RIA does shoot as well as my big dollar 1911!!" As I have always said, I never put down a persons weapon whatever it may be. No point in it!!:smile:

There is nothing wrong with spending big bucks on a weapon I just happen not to do it that often. I have high dollar weapons in my collection but that does not mean that they are in my opinion better than the next persons collection.

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
why do they say they're junk?
Personally, I'm not qualified to determine whether they should be considered good, better, best.
Just don't have enough "real world" experience or knowledge of what makes a 1911 good better best and I only have my Para to compare.

I have to say fit and finish is better on my Para.
It's also much smoother when racking the slide.
(it also cost more money)
But truth is, my Rock shoots just as well and has 3 times+ as many rounds thru it than my Para.

donno how my Rock will hold up with 20, 30, 50,000 rounds thru 'er.
But at 3500+ rounds, she's still running like sewing machine.

I think it also important to compare apples to apples.
It's unreasonable to compare a "buget priced" gun to any number of guns that sell for 2 to 3 times as much.

The other biggie for "me" is, (and much of the reason I "took a chance" and bought my first Rock) Ivan, Ray and Co are very responsive to issues anyone has with their Rocks.

intersting side note;

One of the shops I frequent dogs Colt.
I know some 1911 knowledgable peeps that don't have high regard for Kimber

what I always say,

"opinions are like armpits
everyone has a couple.."

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have shot a few Rock's and sold many many more at work. Most guys at shops will put them down while trying to make that big dollar sale, personally I like them and I am happy to put a person into an inexpensive weapon that functions well and they will be happy with.

Most guys at gun shops dont seem to realize that a happy customer is a repeat customer. That and the fact that after I sell a Rock to someone they will be back with some extra jingle in their pocket makes them a great chioce.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Most guys at gun shops dont seem to realize that a happy customer is a repeat customer.
Most guys at gun shops don't know their backside from a hole in the ground, like the guy when I picked up the cbob that kept trying to tell me browning makes 1911's. He got upset that I was saying they do not.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I havn't found one yet. I really hate to talking to some of the guys around here in shops as they start telling me ridiculous bs. Some are good guys, but they are outnumbered by the bs artists. I think they get used to bs'ing people that don't know anythign and they start believing themselves.

·
Registered
207 Posts
To the jerks I just say " I got a 100 bucks my rock out shoots your whatever and will not jam in doin it".... The get very quiet very quickly.

On the other hand, I have let many shoot my rock and they love it...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's one better. You tell them to pick any ammo they wish(in the same caliber),pick any maker they wish...Kimber,SA,LB,Colt....load it, load yours,...........then shoot `em with both and ask them which one felt different ?!?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I shot a rock island 3.5 incher yesterday. The owner paid $400 for that pistol. It was very accurate. Decent trigger. Very well made, good slide to frame fit, well fit beavertail. Didn't have a single hickup in 150 rounds that the owner brought with him. This gun is a lot of gun for the money. I'm sorry I didn't buy one earlier and wasted my money on guns I have since sold.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well Denis S, I'm happy and sorry. Sorry you feel like you wasted your money on other pistols, but glad you had a good experience with someone else's Rock. Hopefully soon you can have a good experience with your own Rock. May I suggest a Tactical/G.I. 5" in .38 Super?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Pistolero, some shop guys like to BS so much that they can't help themselves. I don't understand why someone would give advice on a gun or criticize it without really knowing what they are talking about. I ran into the same thing when checking into Rocks for the first time. The local shops didn't carry them and when I asked about them they would just say things like "you don't want one of those they are not well made and would be unreliable". Well, I bought one anyhow and it has proven all of those neysayers wrong. It's not a high dollar 1911, but it gets the job done and has not failed yet.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.