1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I saw the Omega listed as a Springfield Armory. I thought the idea was kinda cool... A 1911 lower with a Glock-style upper. To any owners out there I'd love to hear how you like them and see some pics.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
If i remember right the omega was a switch upper gun never seen one except on the net

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I thought the Springfield Omega was either a 5" or 6" 1911 in 10MM!!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks for that info Bud!!! I did not know that they came in other calibers, the 10MM is the only one that I have ever seen!!!:smile:

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you look at one, or pictures, you'll see it has two external extractors - one on each side. I think the multi-caliber function was one reason behind having two extractors. They enabled one slide to work with cartridges of different head diameters by holding the case centered between them.
I also heard that didn't work so well.

I have some SA catalogs around here somewhere, and I think it lists them in 38 Super, 10MM, and 45ACP; with 5" or 6" barrels; and maybe ported or non-ported. It seems like they were rather expensive at the time.

Peters Stahl of Germany designed/made the unit. I'm pretty sure it was also sold by someone else, either before or after SA. Maybe Pachmayr?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Peter Stahl still makes the unit i believe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seen them - never shot one. I have seen the 6inch 45acp and 10mm. The local shop has one in great condition 10mm longslide for just under $900.00.

I heard that they were suseptible to cranks in the frame for hot 10mm loads. Just what I heard.

·
Forum Supporters
51 Posts
Just picked this one up about a month ago- 10MM with ported slide but not the barrel.
Tried to contact Peters-Stahl and haven't heard anything from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 6" ported model in 10MM. I bought it a few years back and actually haven't shot it a lot. I have nothing to compare it to since it is the first 1911 I have owned, but in my opinion it is a sweet shooter. Just recently rejoined a local gun club, so am trying to get back into shooting a bit. I've actually given some thought to selling it or trading to get something in .45 just for overall easier access to ammo. When I bought the gun, from everything I had read, the 10MM was going to be THE new semi auto handgun round. Then came the .40! I learned a little lesson there about buying new calibers when they come out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
SA Omega

I have the Duotone 6" as posted by swampertwo. Had to return it before firing as firing pin was not free floating. I suspect the finish reduced tolerances so rather then have a slamfire I sent it in. They claim few problems with them and that I should feel comfortable blazing away as they will support it although have few parts. They tuned the firing pin and by the looks of it tested it extensively. I have a case of subsonic ammo to use in it as well as the Peters-Stahl supported guide rod in standby. I don't expect any problems and have read the internet comments about them.
mc:notworthy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts