1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOT A FOR SALE AD...Just a question...maybe for sale later though
I was wondering if anybody would be interested in buying reloaded ammo...

I know rule #1 is don't shoot somebody else's reloads...but humor me for a minute.

If it was guaranteed that EVERY powder charge was weighed and EXACTLY the same, EVERY round was within .001 of OAL, new brass, Hornady 230 grain XTP bullets, not +P, but warm (820 fps from a 4.25 inch barrel)...EXTREMELY ACCURATE...at least in my gun (1.75" @ 50 yards, 7 shots).

OAL is 1.23 and its crimped to .468.

$35.00 per 50 rounds...buyer pays shipping.

How insane does that sound???

I though some guys that don't reload might like high quality ammo...I know how to make it...and could use the $$$ right now.:smile:

Just a thought...and I still gotta look into shipping rules.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Would you have insurance? If your buyer's gun blows up, and he blames you, what would you do? Plus, don't you have to be licensed as an ammo manufacturer to sell ammo legally? Guys have asked me to sell them some of my ammo, but I decline because of these issues.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truthfully Primers ..I have no idea...this was just something I thought of while I was loading a few rounds.

I'm sure people have bought and sold reloaded ammo without any licenses or insurance...but there may be rules about it.

It seems strange that somebody with more ammo than he needs would have to have a license or insurance to sell it...reloaded or not...but you may be right...thats why I'm asking:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really want to sell it to be honest...hence the price...but you get what you pay for.

Theres $25 worth of components in 50 rounds, it takes me 2 hours to load 50 rounds (attention to detail)...thats $5.00 an hour for my time...pretty cheap from where I'm sitting, but the guys over on 1911forum are giving me a hard time over the price...LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is a far cry from an "ammo manufacturing facility"...

But it works...

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I hear what your saying, however, if an ATF agent was having a bad day, and wanted to nail someone - it could be you. I at least would recommend you check the laws in your state regarding manufacturing ammunition. Also if you plan to sell it across state lines - there may be other laws that apply. I just want you to be aware of the possibility of pitfalls you may encounter. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I only want you to be safe from troubles.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear what your saying, however, if an ATF agent was having a bad day, and wanted to nail someone - it could be you. I at least would recommend you check the laws in your state regarding manufacturing ammunition. Also if you plan to sell it across state lines - there may be other laws that apply. I just want you to be aware of the possibility of pitfalls you may encounter. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I only want you to be safe from troubles.
Thats the kind of help I was looking for my friend...:smile:

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I just read through the thread over at 1911forum. Yep, they're busting your chops over the price. I don't have any advice on that aspect of your endeavor as I don't really know what good ammo sells for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe a bad idea!

I do know of one case in which a local gunshop owner was loading ammo on the side. Nothing fancy, just inexpensive target style loads. Well the day came that someone showed up with a blown up revolver:plugears:, and you guessed it, claimed his reloaded ammo did it. A trip to Magistrate Court later the store owner was ordered to buy a new gun for the shooter. No proof, just one man's word against another man's:eek:.
If you want to make a little extra money,,,,,, cut somebodies grass.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I do know of one case in which a local gunshop owner was loading ammo on the side.
I am not a gunshop owner, I am not an ammo manufacturer...I'm just a guy having a yard sale.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An answer from somebody that knows...

WESHOOT2 is a "mostly retired" ammo manufacturer...here is what he had to say about it...

1) Yes you need a Federal license to "transfer" ammo (unless it is made with the actual used brass from the buyers' actual gun). The BATF or whatever they call themselves today have no sense of humor; they collect the excise tax.

2) Liability insurance, while not mandatory for licensing, is required by LE/military/gunshops/etc and other organizations.
My cost STARTED with four figures.......

3) "Economy of scale".....(my personal most-expensive handgun ammo was sold for $64/20 rds).

4) I am not a lawyer, either, but liability cannot be ignored.
Fact: The ONLY me-made commercial cartridge failure was a dear friend who had a case wall split during firing, nearly causing a squib. Case was range-junk (because the ammo was intended to be for me and my guns at matches only); failure was at (just) a match; price was friend-cheap; ramification was a bad stage.
But it could have been worse.........why I still make every single rd like it may be called on to save a life.
Liability.

I have provided a bit of assistance to a few more-recent-than-me start-up ammo companies, but they understand the ramifications.
Which abound.......

I 'mostly retired' because I got tired of weeding out the weenies and dinks and total nutcakes; production was taking the fun out of it; lead (which is what bullets are made of) is very heavy like, well, lead; peripheral costs like liability insurance were becoming irritants.
Dropped my Federal licensing and liability and manufacturing and now I don't get so irritated.
Or tired.......

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
all this is why I have refused to sell reloads to anyone. Give it away sometimes by letting folks shoot it when w/ me.
I too reload everything like my life may some day depend on it.
I am afraid that some day we may need the reloads for personal or home defense becuase we cannot buy ammo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it is only $35.00 for 50 rounds, I'll take 2,500 rounds of .50 BMG ammo, just as fast as you can load it up! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OOps...I did fail to mention that it was 45 acp didn't I...

·
Registered
692 Posts
For several years I bought .45 ACP reloads from a fella that sold reloads to local gunshops. Good reliable reloads - less than .20/round

I think his prices have gone up to .24/round over the last year or so.:shades:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it is going to be hard to sell. This issue is that quality control is really difficult to maintain over a range of volume. The more you sold the harder it would be to maintain quality. Plus you open yourself up for tremendous
liability,

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Ridge,

In post #14 you say you didn't specify 45 acp, BUT you did say:

230 XTP, oal 1.23, and crimp is .468.

If that doesn't say 45acp, I don't know what does. :wink:

When I lived in Md, I got 2 other guys interested in pin shooting. I then pretty much verbally/non-verbally agreed to reload 45's for them. One guy just paid me straight up for components and I rounded the cost up a buck or 2 to make my time worth something. The other guy bought the bullets and powder he wanted me to use and I again added a buck or 2 for my time + the cost for primers. Since both used my brass and whatever new factory brass they would shoot and give to me, under Weshoots post, I think I would have been covered. No liability insur., but I think the rest was covered. Also reloaded for my son to shoot pins also, but he used the gun I gave him (my first 45) for his 21'st B-Day.

I don't think your price is out of line, and I like the 230 XTP's. I think what you would produce would be great. I've had 2 diff guys ask to reload for them since I moved here (July will be 3 yrs), but I'm just not going to get into that type of commitment again. I'll load for someone to shoot out of MY guns if they want to go, but I'm not reloading for someone else again. Tracy

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Ridge,

I just did a search on the "other" forum and can't find your post. What was the thread listed as? Tracy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.