1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice!!!!!

I didn't know that the Fusion crew would do builds on other frames and such. I guess that kind of answers the on going question as to whether Fusion is a Custom or Semi Custom shop. I would call that custom indeed. When I have Bob and Dale start my build, there will be a few unfusion parts as well. It is so great to have the option of getting a truely personalized 1911 at the price of a high end production SA or Kimber. Great stuff!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

Fusion's website offers custom gunsmithing. I simply took Bob up on his offer.

Kali "safety" is an absurdity, but whatever it is, it's held in the frame. Apparently, the part holding the serial number. :tongue:

California's rules were only a part of why I did this. I like having a gun that has features I've grown to like and has been checked out thoroughly by a craftsman.

This gun looks similar to the one Yost-Bonitz built a few years ago for me.

http://www.louderthanwords.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2529

The "Louder than words" website has many examples of guns built by master crafts men and women with parts coming from several different vendors. These "best of breed" mixes can be outstanding firearms. Just hard to name. :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Beautiful pistol. Good Luck with it. :)

I see you have a arched mainspring housing on the Springfield. When you
Do your range report could you let us know how easy/hard it is to go from
that to the bobtail?

Again Nice Pistols:bravo:

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gun arrived. Looks great. After all that gunsmithing, the fit is top notch.

Field stripped and cleaned it, then checked critical functions. All worked. There was no creep in the trigger and it was nearly as crisp as the Yost gun.

I carried it around the house to get a feel for the gun. This gun was an experiment of sorts. The Sig 229 and the 1* I carry and train with are nearly perfect for me. So, near the peak, I wanted to climb a few more inches. :nuts:

After getting a Glock 29 for airline travel and the woods, I concluded the 10mm cartridge is fantastic. So, I wanted a 10mm carry gun.

The 1911 is the best shooting platform for me, but I noticed when I draw the 5" barreled 1911, I have to pull a bit higher to clear leather than with the Sig. So, perhaps, a Commander length 1911 in 10mm would have the best of everything I like in the 1*, the Sig and the G29. This gun is definitely a "want", and not a "need". But, I think this is it.

I use a Beltman belt with a Brigade M-11 holster for this gun. Quite comfortable and did not feel heavy.

As far as the 'Bobtail', the gun points normally when I draw and dry fire. It seems to break the line of the grip, so even when I pull my shirt to my body, the outline does not look as much like a gun. I also noticed the grip safety engages easier compared to my 1*. I'm not going to 'Bobtail' my 1*, but, I am going to swap out the arched mainspring housing and replace it with a flat one. Bottom line, the Bobtail is definitely a good feature.

A small issue is the base pad on the magazines. The one that came with the gun is made from gooey rubber that catches the fabric of my cover shirt. I've never experienced this before since the Wilson Combat, Novak and Sig magazines I use have hard, smooth base pads. For now, I removed the pad.

I like a pad for slamming the bottom when reloading or failure drills. So, looks like I'll be buying Wilson Combat 10mm magazines for carry.

I inserted several of the Wilson .45ACP magazines I have to confirm the shirt no longer catches. Just for the heck of it, I loaded 10mm cartridges in the .45ACP Wilson eight round magazines and the gun fed nine rounds of 10mm without a hitch. However, I'm still going to buy some spec'ed for the 10mm.

Have not gone to the range yet since the extra magazines I ordered from Fusion have not arrived. I'm also ordering three nine round Wilson mags from Top Gun Supply. After the mags show up, I'll test them all at the range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had FTF's, FTE's and bulging cases, fluctuating POI's at the range with the Fusion gun. The case bulges alarmed the range's gunsmith and I stopped shooting it.

Continued shooting my Glock 29 with full reliability with all the 10mm Winchester Silvertip, Georgia Arms and Double Tap ammo I brought. No case bulges with the Glock.

Here's a picture of a 10mm cartridge in the Fusion chamber.

Looks unsafe to me, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The issue........

The issue here is we are working with a Springfield frame and not a Fusion frame. There are differences between the two and therefore the feed ramp needed to be altered to feed reliably. All the spent cases sent with this pistol were in good shape, ie: no bulged cases. These were factory ammo cases from Winchester, Hornady, and Remington. Doubletap ammo is.....different.

I'm sure Bob will chime in and we'll resolve this.

Dale.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
As you all know we go to quite an extent to make our customers happy and give help in a continuous basis to people with our products and others products.

The facts on this subject are as follow:

1) Yes we did ramp the barrel similar to a glock to aid in feeding due to the position on the feed ramp in the Springfield Frame.
2) Yes, We fired Remington, Federal and Hornady HP’s through this pistol with no problems in feeding, or case bulging and any excessive signs of pressure.
3) We send shot brass with every Pistol we work on even Service jobs to show the condition of factory ammo. When we ask the customer to try the recommended ammo we get no response. When we ask did you look at the brass that was included with the pistol we get no response.
4) When we ask the customer to call in for help, we get no response.

We are always happy and willing to help folks out, this has always been our policy, But we have no time or tolerance for child's play.

Don, You know our phone number if you need assistance.
607-343-4013

Thank you,
Bob
:smile::smile::smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Communication is very important, especially in the planning phase of a gunsmithing project.

I can not think of a defense for this gun. I asked all the right questions when there was plenty of time to abort the project. Customer support is also telling someone their request can not be met.

1) The frame, slide, barrel, magazines, internals came from Fusion. In fact, everything but the grip panels was provided by Fusion.

2) My initial written communications asked lots of questions about what frame makes sense for a 10mm Commander.

Every one of Bob's written responses said there would be no problem.

3) Just before all the parts arrived at Fusion, I communicated in writing the brand, bullet weight and projected muzzle speed of the ammo I use and asked if there is anything else that needs to be considered to have a working gun.

I specifically listed the barrel, MIM parts and a few other things to review before starting.

In writing, Bob stated nothing needs to be reconsidered.

4) Verbally, I ask again before a tool touched the gun. Bob told me how many guns he has built and this is nothing new.

Now, move forward four months.

After my range trip, I emailed Bob. His repeated response has been for me to use "FBI Lite" ammo in my 10mm pistol. Since it would be my hands wrapped around the grip, I'm concerned about the chamber safety. No real response to the FTE's and FTF's.

Certainly no offer to look at my gun in the five days since I emailed the photo of the chamber. My bank checks were good, he should have called me.

I'm going to set the gun aside and later find a gunsmith to lay out a plan to recover what I can from this.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Look, if you need help we are here for you. If you want to play unproductive games, we have no time for that.
We will wait for your call.

Thank you,
Bob
Fusion
:smile::smile:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.