1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

A father/son project....

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
Here are some pics of a 22 Ruger Single Six that I picked up at a pawn shop recently. The wood grips were cracked and the finish was pretty bad like maybe it had been sliding around under the seat of a truck. It came with both magnum and LR cylinders.

I gave it to my 10 year old son for his birthday and I let him do most of the work including stripping, rust removal, and bluing the cylinder and small parts. The grips are an extra set I had from a Ruger Vaquero.

It did not come out 'perfect' but we are both very happy with the results. I did not repaint any of the painted parts and am still debating on what to do there. He is eager to shoot it and doesn't seem to care about the chips and scratches.

Before:

After:

See less See more
#5 ·
Marshall,

I applaud your effort to get your son involved in a great past time. We must teach our kids enjoyment and safety in firearms. They are the future of the things we hold dear. I have a 12 year old son that enjoys range trips with dad. Keep up the good work!:wavey:

#6 ·
Great job! Let us know how it shoots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.