1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your thoughts?

Is it better than a 10mm if I intend to reload? (A lot :nuts:) or is .38 super more popular because it is better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, intending to reload does not by itself make the 9x23 better.

No, intending to reload does not by itself make the 9x23 better.

As a practical matter I would say there is no particular reason to ever reload the 9x23. In my view the only reason to own a 9x23 is as a carry gun and I do. I carry factory ammunition - Silvertip although I have no doubt CorBon would be as good or better. I go along with Mas Ayoob on the notion that carry ammunition should be factory ammunition. For low cost practice I have a 9mm barrel and a Service Ace conversion kit in .22 rimfire. For non-reloaders and those in places where reloading is impractical the 9x23 is the best choice to make major with factory ammunition.

In my view the 10mm offers a little over the .45 Auto - John Dean Cooper suggested the .45 Auto would do everything the 10mm would do and vice versa adding the 10mm would do it at slightly longer ranges. That said I don't have much use for a 10mm because I think the 9x23 does it all and the .45 is good enough and cheaper and easier on the pistol. Rick Jamison liked the 10mm in a 1911 for field carry and there is something to be said for that.

For serious power from a 1911 platform I have a .460 Rowland conversion kit - an inexpensive way to go although it is again in my view very much a carry a lot shoot a little proposition. Once again familiarity with the platform can be gained with lighter loads that do less damage to the gun and to the shooters hands and ears and pocketbook.

For general use I'd say it's an emotional decision and might as well be. There is little or no logical reason to choose one over the other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.