1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand how they work and all but what I don't understand is the general dislike of the guns. I have never had problem one from either my series 80 guns.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
People don't like the extra parts and feel they are not needed ..

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
you have to ask why they are considered crappy most will say the 80's bits.. i have a few of them they are fine guns the extra parts are useless and just more stuff

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
If someone says they are crappy they don't know what they are talking about. If someone says they don't like a gun with series 80 parts that's understandable. I don't specifically base buying a gun on whether it has them or not, althougth I think they are unneccessary, as the series 80 stuff can be pulled out and a shim put in very easily. The series 70 and 80 have pretty much the same trigger pull, but taking the series 80 out and putting the shim in does lighten it a little so it's a cheap way to lighten the trigger.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That makes some sense to me. How much does the shim cost and how difficult is the job? ( I ask this as a relative novice) Would doing that job make a gun worth more or less or is that just a matter of opinion?
Sorry for throwing so many questions at you guys at once. I'm just trying to educate myself for and impending battle of the wits.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
about 7$ 10-15 mins to fit

·
Registered
108 Posts
That makes some sense to me. How much does the shim cost and how difficult is the job? ( I ask this as a relative novice) Would doing that job make a gun worth more or less or is that just a matter of opinion?
Sorry for throwing so many questions at you guys at once. I'm just trying to educate myself for and impending battle of the wits.
The shim is available at the link below. It is not dificult to add the shim and remove the S80 parts. The gun then becomes (in effect) a S70 style gun. Value should not change...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13121&title=1911 AUTO FRAME SLOT BLANK

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are you talking about a basic field strip reassemble or a bare frame and slide reassemble. I haven't had that problem but I haven't had any of my 1911's down to the frame yet.
The field strip is easy. I like to detail strip my 1911's regularly for a thorough cleaning. That's where the difficulty comes in. Many guys have no problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Series 80 guns at all. The extra 3 parts were added to prevent an accidental discharge if dropped on the hammer, which is an unlikely event. Removing the parts has a very minimal effect on lightening trigger pull weight. It's really not worth the effort. The main problem with the extra parts is that it makes disassembly/assembly a bit more complicated, but after you've done it a couple of times, it's not much of a problem. Many old-timers (myself included) still prefer the older, simpler, pre-80 series guns.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
There are actually four additional parts in the Series 80.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Whenever I do a detail strip on a series 80 1911, I leave out those parts and drop in the shim (from Brownells). I usually don't worry about pulling them till the gun needs a good cleaning. As mentioned, it makes it easier to reassemble.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Yes

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.