1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner

Do 7-round magazine springs last longer? How much?

• Yes, and they last a LOT longer.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, and they last a few thousand rounds longer.

• Yes, but only by a measure of a few hundred rounds.

• Nope, with modern materials and craftsmanship, not anymore.

Votes: 10 76.9%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always been told that 7-round magazine springs last longer than their 8 round counterparts. Lately, though, I've been seeing the value of having that one extra round. My question is, modern materials used considered, do 7-rounders really last longer before the springs need to be changed, and if so, by how much?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Don't Think it matters as long as they work in your gun and you keep up maintance

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Agree completely w/ both. I want the extra round & I have not been able to tell that another persons 7rd outlasted my 8s.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
I shoot a lot, and only use Wilson 47's or 47D's. Eventually the springs weaken and fail to lock the slide back. I replace the OEM's with Tripp Research spring/follower kit, which make it 7 rounds. So, I am happy with 7 round range mags. I do carry fresh 8 round Wilson mags in my carry guns.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
Didn't vote,cuz I don't know. But a good Wilson or Novak 8-rounder is just as reliable as the old 7-round magazines.

Like Primers,I use both at the range but carry 8+1.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
ZeroTA, come on down my way and we'll "test some mags" at my range.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
ZeroTA, come on down my way and we'll "test some mags" at my range.
That's cool,but don't be surprised if we're shooting and I get "something in my eye",or a "bad lot of ammo"...I usually shoot much better,honest!:wink:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I don`t shoot that much, but my limited experience tells me that as long as you have quality mags to begin with, and perform any usual necessary maintenance, the 7 vs 8 is pretty much a non issue. I use both. 7 rds for my SA GI, and 8 rds for my S&W.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In theory, I suppose 7rds mags offer a more stable platform all-round. In my case however, I can't seem to find a mag that my Les Baers don't like. 7rds, 8rds, 10rds... regardless of make, model, metal, color... They run everything the same... no issues.

I have a dozen Wilson 47DE that I use for competition. I have six others, 47D, that I use some for carry and range work. I have a Check Mate 7rdr with a Tripp kit that I use for deep concealment, as it has no bumber pad. I have five Baer 8rds mags that run great. The OEM springs in Wilson mags are junk, so I watch them closely and replace with Wolff +5% springs at the first sign of malfeasance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts