1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want to put together a longslide 45acp/45 super.What mod is necessary to handle the super round? Is it necessary to have the bbl and slide ported like the old springfield v-16 longslide?Any info will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Porting is not required...but will help tame the recoil.

Other than that....heavier recoil spring, maybe a stronger mainspring, good stiff firing pin spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
People have done nothing, installed a higher poundage recoil spring, a recoil buffer and lots of other things. I'd consider a small tip firing pin and a flatter bottom firing pin stop with a higher poundage main spring. Strictly for hunting use I'd go with a compensator like the .460 Rowland conversion - in fact I'd go with a .460 Rowland conversion instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this forum. Will share my experience. I run 45 super in my springer TRP when larger animals abound. I don't shoot that load all the time of course but have shot enough in that load to have confidence and no harm to the pistol. My set up... I use a storm lake ported bbl which is extended by .75 inch for the ports, not necessary but I have it. I throw in an EFK recoil reducer in place of the rod which is like the shocks on your car with a 20lb wolff spring. I also use a flat bottom firing pin stop (wilson) and use Wolff extra power mainspring. The FPS mad main spring are always installed for Ny load. So when I want 45super I basically swap out the bbl, rod and recoil spring and ready to go. All my super load ammo is clearly marked with red marker so I don't get me mixed up. In the woods load up some buffalo bore flat nosed 45 super or hard cast 45 plus p and ready for what might be coming. OK a grizzly might need a few rounds if ya got the time and can't run real fast. Super is fun to shoot and properly set up just a little more recoil but not bad at all. Considered the 460 Rowland but 45 super full Sami gets you mostly there. Goof luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.