1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob,
What are the chances of getting a 5" 1911 chambered for 357sig?

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
That makes three of us interested. I am seriously looking at a .357 SIG for my next handgun. And you could get a .40 barrel fitted and just swap 'em in and out as you please,right?

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes three of us interested. I am seriously looking at a .357 SIG for my next handgun. And you could get a .40 barrel fitted and just swap 'em in and out as you please,right?
I guess you could but I am not a fan of the 40. So I would just keep it 357sig.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
.40's cheaper than .357 Sig. Cheaper than .45 for that matter. Not as affordable as 9mm but you can still shoot .40 without turning in your Man card.

;)

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a reloader ammo cost is much less.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
As a reloader ammo cost is much less.
As a non-reloader, I can't afford much food these days with the price of ammo. But that's okay,it keeps my old lady skinny.

:eek:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Penetration. We had an individual shot by the County Sheriff and State Troopers. County had .40 and .45 the Troopers had .357sig. They were shooting at a pick up truck and the trooper shot 9 rounds and out of 9 rounds 7 hit. He only dropped the 2 rounds because one of the deputes was going to be on the other side of the truck as it was moving back towards them at a high rate of speed. His rounds were the only ones that made it through the vehicle and into the suspect. Rounds went through the back glass and also the drivers door. I don't ever plan on shooting through a vehicle but if the time comes I want to be able to.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Go 10mm, great penetration and the most versatile reloading out there. Load it high for penetration or lower in cases, like apt dwellers, for home defense and less penetration. You can even load it at .357 sig specs and reload a straight wall case.

Don't get me wrong, I think .357 sig is a good round just think 10mm is more versatile.

Just an option, that being said I think both .357 sig or 10mm is excellent for carry. In a 1911 though the gun will be the same size either caliber, in a glock I belive the .357 sig is smaller. Course for anyone already reloading .357 sig its understandable.

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
My thinking is that the 357Sig and 9mm use the same bullets (don't they?), so I'd give up a little in capacity to get more horsepower out of a 9mm bullet.

Jerry, you got me thinking too...if I'm going away from the .45 platform, 10mm may be well worth considering.

Decisions,decisions....

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
From what I understand yo can't just use any 9mm bullets, certain ones you can. I HAVE seen it recommended to use .357 sig bullets. Not important though if you are not going to reload.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Everyone is different, I'm just a big fan of 10mm. Now with some guns the .357 is smaller, like comparing the 27 to the 33, and that can make a difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, I never thought of the tactical side of it. If I was using it for a carry gun, it might be a good idea. For a range and home defense gun, though, I would still stick with .45ACP. From what I understand .357 Sig is a bit difficult to reload, and 10mm components cost quite a bit more.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
The lead, powder and primers for 10mm is the same as .40 except for brass. There is more powder but powder cost difference is negligible. Just find once fired brass for a good price. It's been as cheap or cheaper for me to reload 10mm as .45, the lead for 10mm/40 cheaper than that for .45.

Heres an example: Precision bullets 230 .45 is 8.00 more than 185 10mm/.40. in 500 packs. Primers and powder will pretty much cost the same. I got 10mm brass as cheap as my .45 brass (a lot to last me). So it depends on your brass price. That will mean a lot less than the difference in lead though as you use the brass many times. Lets be conservative and say you only get 5 reloads from the brass. You would have to pay 40.00 more for the 10mm brass to match the difference in lead. More loadings that figure changes but it can easily be cheaper to load 10mm than .45.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.