1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think the "new" 327 mag will last? I got to shoot all three rds. that are offered in a ruger sp101. Eh... not impressed, small dia. bullet moving at high speed, has'nt this been beat to death? For the last 100 years it's been proved that bullet weight and large dia. is much more effecitive than high speed, small light weight bullets in handguns.Is it that the gun makers and ammo makers hope to sell this stuff to the uninformed or the inexperienced? Now I know they can crunch the numbers to say its more than a 38+p, I just don't see the penatration , that you can get from a good 158gn. swchp +p. If high speed and bullet expanson were all that maters we'd all be using 29gn. high speed 22s.!!

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Actually its a combination of velocity, bullet diameter, and mass of the projectile. The 357 comes in at half the weight of a 45, and substantially smaller in size, but with alot more velocity, and I don't see people down talking the 357 over the 45. Personally I like both, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to go with the 357.
Do I think the 327 will stay, who knows, the only real niche that it can fill is the fact that in a small frame 357 can only hold 5 while a 327 will give you that extra round.

Yes you are right, when it comes to handguns the weight and size seem to hold a little more importance to the bullet, but don't discount velocity, it counts for quite a lot.

Matter of fact when calculating the energy delivery of a bullet, the velocity comes in much more important. The weight and diameter are small factors.

If you double the weight of the bullet you double the energy. If you double the velocity you quadruple the energy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Listen up!

The fact is, the .327 Federal Magnum is what everyone wanted when the .32 H&R Magnum was released in 1984. The cartridge performs best when it is fired from barrels between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2" in length. You can push a 100-grain, JHP bullet to between 1600-1650 fps from a .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single-Six that's been converted (read: chambers relieved) to accept the longer .327 Federal Magnum rounds.

Both Ruger and S&W "stepped in it" when they put it in short-barreled revolvers. This round performs better in longer barrels, PERIOD! If I had my "druthers" I'd prefer to have a 5" barreled, stainless steel "J" frame chambered for the hot-stepping .32. Penetration, and expansion are the key when it comes to shooting the .327 Federal Magnum. I'd rather have a longer barrel that reduces muzzle flash and recoil, while enhancing penetration. If you don't believe what I'm saying go to Gunblast.com and look at the Bowen's Ruger Single-Six Conversion writeup. THEN you can tell me how wrong I am! ;)

BTW, there is a gun shop in Nothern Washington that is "relieving" the cylinders of the .32 H&R Magnum Ruger Single-Six revolvers. These conversions work quite well, thank you very much! The conversion is relatively inexpensive, and you can STILL shot the .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long and the .32 H&R Magnum as well as the new "hot-shot" .327 Federal Magnum. The ability to shoot everything from enraged field mice to stalking deer at short range. (Yes, it has been done with American Eagle 100-grain JHP loads from a scoped, 6 1/2" barreled Ruger Single-Six with a converted cylinder.) What more can you ask?

It isn't a very good idea to discount what you don't understand. I saw a Ruger Blackhawk chambered for the .30 Carbine the other day and could only imagine how it would shoot were it chambered for the .327 Federal Magnum. I believe that I would like it!

Shoot safely,

Scott

·
Registered
135 Posts
Does anyone think the "new" 327 mag will last? I got to shoot all three rds. that are offered in a ruger sp101. Eh... not impressed, small dia. bullet moving at high speed, has'nt this been beat to death? For the last 100 years it's been proved that bullet weight and large dia. is much more effecitive than high speed, small light weight bullets in handguns.Is it that the gun makers and ammo makers hope to sell this stuff to the uninformed or the inexperienced? Now I know they can crunch the numbers to say its more than a 38+p, I just don't see the penatration , that you can get from a good 158gn. swchp +p. If high speed and bullet expanson were all that maters we'd all be using 29gn. high speed 22s.!!
That's why the U.S. Army still shoots the 5.56mm NATO!

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've seen a lot of new calibers come and go over the years and the same old useful calibers are still arround. If a .32 mag didn't catch on changing it a little bit won't help. I don't believe it can do anything the .38 special can't do.
Billy

·
Registered
51 Posts
One thing to consider when this round is chambered in small snubbies, it has one more shot over ones in .38 spl.

This round does have more velocity than the older .32 Mag. Definately the .327 Mag will have more punch than the .32 Silvertip used in small self defense autos.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I like the new .327 Fed. Mag.. There is just something about a revolver cartridge that can "hold it's own" when compared to the 9mm Parabellum. This little round is a real surprise when it comes to performance. Don't discoun't lighter bullets when it comes to killing power. The can "get the job done" when called upon.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.