1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IIRC, in NC you can use any caliber larger than a .22. Technically and legally, is the .223 (.224 dia. bullet) "Larger" (and thus legal) than a .22? Would .223 be a legal size caliber to hunt with as I understand? Thanks, Tracy

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
here they still consider the 223 a 22 in reguards to deer and bigger animals we have the same deal we cant hunt about anything but varmints with a 22

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I'm on it...give me a few minutes...

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridge,

Thank very much. I had looked at that before and thought that that's where I had seen the "larger than .22 caliber" statement. But it still doesn't specify if .223 is considered "larger" than .22. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
OK....I'll see what else I can dig up after I finish with my mag report.:smile:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that .22 vs .223 is such a "grey" area for a non-hunter like me. Hopefully this yr will change that. I haven't hunted since I was about 20. Waaaaaaay to long ago. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Tracy...everything I can find says there are no caliber restrictions by state statute...local laws may apply though.
http://www.ncdeer.com/nc_regulations.html

I think you are in Guilford County...I can find no restrictions AT ALL for Guilford County....except one that says ...Do not hunt an animal with a firearm from a public road"...

I'm sure the 223 is legal for you but to make double sure...call the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission...919-707-0030.

I hope that helps.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, That's the info I was looking for. I'll save it to my Favs. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
You can hunt with any caliber except a 22. 223, 204 ruger etc. They use to say calibers larger than 22 because for the longest time, they didn't make a large enough hole to cause quick, humane kills. You still can't hunt with a 22 because of the low muzzle energy, but the 223 is fine. It ain't the best choice for deer, works good for smaller varmints such as coyotes etc, but deer, I would want a larger, harder hitting round.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
A 223 with a good bullet (Barnes, Nosler Partition, PowerPoint, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, etc.) will do a fine job on deer...I have taken them with clean, 1 shot kills with far weaker rounds.

The reason most people say the 223 is not good for deer is because up until a few years ago...there were no bullets that would stay together long enough to penetrate deep enough...we don't have that problem anymore....the 223 is plenty powerful for deer, they are not hard to kill. I filled my freezer last year with a 45 acp (my Stinger).

Pick your shots...broadside, aim for the lungs or liver.
Facing you...straight through the neck or just above the middle of the chest.

Here is a pic of a Barnes bullet, 62 grain TSX boattail...it hit hard packed slate rock at 2900 fps and penetrated plenty far enough (the 243 didn't do much better with the same type bullet)...and its still in 1 piece except for the petals, which do not come off in flesh.

The range should be kept to 100 yards...but never more than 150 yards. The 223 is capable of doing its job for quite a ways farther than 150 yards....but the man holding the gun should always have "ethics" and "his own limitations" in mind.

There is nothing better than a good caliber debate:wink:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Here is a penetration test done by Federal...for deer, use only 55 grain or heavier bullets...with 62 grains and bonded (or solid copper) being the best IMO.

A note worth mentioning: The Colt M4 carbine used in this test had a 14 inch barrel...the impact velocity was only 2716 fps and it penetrated 16 inches.
With a 16 inch barrel the velocity is nearly 2900 fps and the penetration is around 18 - 20 inches.

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To clarify the original intention of my post, I DO intend on getting and AR later this summer. I already have my comped longslide that I feel with either the 45Super or 45-08 Armco would be tremendous Wild Boar/pig medicine.

The AR is intended for fun initially, but if the opurtunity arises I'd like to know if I can use it legally.

Thanks for your responses. Tracy

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
The 223, with good bullets designed for hunting medium game, will do equally well on hogs.

Glad to share what little I know...:smile:

·
Old Sheepdog
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ain't it fun to learn new things.:smile: Thanks, Tracy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.