1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday is opening day of bow season here...I can hardly wait, I bought a crossbow from a guy at work. I had never shot a crossbow before that...I like it, its pretty hard to pull back though (175 lbs. draw weight).

I've always enjoyed bowhunting...but rifles always "fit" me better...I saw the crossbow as sort of a compromise, they are legal to hunt with here in Tennessee.

I'll post pics here if I get lucky this weekend...I took vacation today and Monday so I could hunt.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Vacation?????????
I thought we were just congratulating you on finding a job last month.
Congrats.
I hope his rack hangs up on the edges of a #3 washtub.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yep...they give you 2 weeks paid vacation and 40 hours of unpaid "personal time" as soon as you get your 90 day probation period done.

Thank You... I hope so too, I'd like to get a big buck. but a couple of big does would work...as long as I get some meat.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On my way out to my stand... and hoping it don't rain, but I'm taking the rain gear because it looks like its going to.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
What is for supper.???
Backstrap :flag::wavey:
or Deer track soup????:hairpull::rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Its soup tonight...:hairpull:

There were 2 does standing there checking out my stand when I went in this morning...I must have done a good job of smelling like a deer, because when I told them to GIT!...they walked to within 15 feet of me before they figured out it was me...either that or I have let them walk so many times they are getting tame.

I have not killed those 2 does because the are HUGE for a doe around here, at least 140 lbs. (breeding stock)...we've had an uneasy "relationship" for about 4 years now. I'll kill them if they make it to 6 years old, then make new friends.

So...in the spirit of herd management...no backstrap tonight.

I did see a small buck, either a 4 or 6 point, but he was about 70 yards away and did not respond to the calls.

I'll try again in the morning.:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it stops raining tonight...it rained off and on all day today.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Yep. I will hunt in any weather before rain. Snow, sleet, even heat & mosquitos but I hate hunting or working in rain.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm 1 up on you guys...my son holding my little 5 point buck. There is another small point under Brock's left hand. I shot him yesterday evening just before dark, we did not find him until this morning...I hit him good (good hit on the liver...quartering away, complete pass through), but he still went about 600 yards before he died. Sometimes they just don't die like they are supposed to...but we didn't give up until we found him. The shot was a tad high...meaning not much of a blood trail, and no blood at all after the first 200 yards...we tracked this one down the old fashioned way...tracks, overturned leaves, skid marks, etc,.

We looked last night until about 2100, flashlights gave out...so we called it a night and went back this morning...quickly found where he fell down a few times, about another 100 yards and he was dead in the mud. He had stopped to wallow in the mud (deer do this when they are hurt)...he never got back up.

I hate that we had to leave him last night, but we found him.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Make that 2...

Got a doe too...she was not so hard to find. She took about 4 steps and fell DRT.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank You LT,
I hope you get to go too...I'm not sure how much I'll get to hunt between now and Christmas...not much I'm sure...but I'm off work from Dec.19 to Jan. 4 (yearly shutdown to rebuild presses).

This may be a little off topic for a 1911 forum, but I will (hopefully) get a couple with my 1911 during gun season ...and its interesting to see how everybody's season is going, or at least I think it is.

Surely there are a few other hunters on here...show em off guys.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Bow season is just around the corner here in Michigan, and I still haven`t gotten myself a bow. It`s awfully hard for me to find time during that magical season yet due to work issues in October. We had an early firearm doe season (4 days) a couple of weeks ago, but I had so much to do and it was sooooo warm, I couldn`t get enthused. But, firearm season begins November 15, and since I hunt with a muzzleloader, I will be able to hunt from then thru Jan 1st non stop. On a side note, my nephew loves to hunt, and he is going to use one of my smokepoles this year to join me during the black powder season. It should be a ton of fun. I had him shooting it over Labor day weekend, and we will probably get out again this weekend so that he can get more time in with it.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree on the warm weather "ruining the mood"...but I hunt anyway if I can, simply because I want "JERKY"...:dancingbananna:

I love deer jerky...so does my wife, my son, my Dad, a few aunts and uncles...I need all the meat I can get, or I won't get any jerky after they all get done with it. We generally go through 10 - 12 deer per year around my house. That's enough to keep me and Brock pretty busy...he got us another doe after school today BTW.

I prefer hunting in December and January myself...I don't have to be in such a hurry to get the meat put up, which can be quite a chore on a good day (2 deer) because I do all the butchering myself.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I didnt get drawn for a tag this year and am bummed out about it. So all I can do is wait to see if I can get a Javelina tag for the spring hunt. Oh well, there are still lots of quail out there that are waiting to go into my frying pan, Mirando

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is a bummer...

You have to get drawn to hunt in AZ??? I didn't know that.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
For big game yes, MK

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
In AZ there is quality big game hunts, Elk, Antalope, Bear, Turkey and so forth. But it is difficult to get a tag. I have only gotten one Elk tag in 10 years. I have been trying for antelope for 15 years and have never got drawn. I did get an Elk, Mirando

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.