1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning gents,

For some reason I've been wanting a nickel M1911 with pearl grips for many years (I'm 59) and after searching and reading on the internet for a few days a RIA seemed to be exactly what I wanted.....not my only M1911, I've had a customized Remington Rand for several years.

Last Sat. I went to a local gun show and saw three brand new nickel RIA's on two different tables that were priced between $479.00 and $500.00.....with a little dickering I ended up getting one for $450.00 OTD.

After getting home the first thing I did was take it apart to give it a through cleaning and I saw I had a problem after swabing the barrel.

The barrel rifling looked badly corroded and pitted for about 1/4" just forward of the ramp. I first used a nylon tornado brush in plain ole Hoppes and then went to a bronze brush.

The barrel was definitely pitted pretty bad and the only reason I can think caused this was the type of ammo they used for test firing and or not cleaning the barrel after the test firing....I guess like all new RIA's I had two fired cases inside the box.

I got ahold of Ivan at Armscor Monday and he told me a new barrel would ship Tues. and to be sure the barrel bushing fit properly he was also going to send me a new bushing fitted to the barrel he was sending.....All Free of Charge !!

So far I'm really very impressed with the pistol, for a pistol that is supposed to be a "rattle box" govt. model everything fits perfectly and it's very tight all over.

FYI....some may already be aware but Ray Witham is no longer with Armscor and Ivan J. Walcott is the new Sales Mgr. that I dealt with.....his email is [email protected].

My buddy and I have had a tradition for several years, we meet at the range at dawn on Thanksgiving Day (always have the range to ourselves) and shoot for a couple hours then head to our homes, clean guns and get ready for the turkey dinner. Even with the pitted barrel I've just got to shoot my new pistol so we're going to meet as normal in a couple hours.

I haven't found fake pearl grips yet but even without seeing the gun yet my buddy has already nicknamed my nickel 45 the "Pimp Pistol".

As I stated I'm impressed with the way the pistol is made and I'm really impressed with the customer service at Armscor.

Have a good Thanksgiving fellas.

Ike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Ike, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new RIA!!! Actually Ivan has always been THE Sales Manager Ray was hired to help Ivan out!!!:smile:

What Ivan did for you with the new barrel and bushing is the way they have always treated their customers!!! Their Customer Service is second to no one!!!!:smile:

Check out my grips from Sarge's Grips. They are made from Corian and are outstanding grips!!! Better than fake pearl grips also!!! Click on Sarge's link in the Sponsor section for a look!!!

Here they are on my HC Armscor Medallion 38 Super.

Here they are on my Armscor stainless 45ACP.

Here they are on my RIA Tactical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like the looks of those ivory grips Automag.....I just may have to rethink the pearl.

Well my buddy and I met at the range on Thanksgiving Day and had a great time, my new RIA fired Rem. 230gr solid nose and hollow points flawlessly.

My buddy has a Kimber but for a inexpensive plinker he had picked up a new 45 acp Hi Point and it also performed without a hitch.

I stated I had a nickel M1911 Govt. from the beginning but when I got the barrel and bushing in the mail yesterday from Ivan for some reason either him or Arnell sent blue instead of stainless for my nickel pistol. I've already emailed Ivan to see if we can get the right parts coming and these headed back.

I picked up a couple new no-name stainless magazines with bump pads for $15.00 each (they fed just fine) but I want the magazine to fit flush and I see Wolff makes a nickel 7 round magazine without a bump pad, any comments about the quality of Wolff 45 magazines ?

Ike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.