1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently experienced an event that has rendered my Kimber TacPro useless. Seems I had a double charged handload that blew the pistol out of my hands. The force of the explosion blew off the grips and mag floorplate. Now the slide will only move about 1/8" rearward. What is the best way to disassemble this gun to assess the damages?

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Holy Poop, Glad you are alright, hope your gun can be fixed.:eek:

·
I need a vacation
1,301 Posts
With that much force,it very likely flexed out your aluminum frame. If possible,try to tap off the slide with a rubber mallet. If you can't,take it to a smith and let the pro's handle it so you don't damage your frame or slide further. Either way,you'll need to inspect it for further damage and measure the frame to make sure the dimensions are still in spec.

That's as far as my advice goes...if something's messed up once you get the slide off,you'll want the opinion of a real gunsmith on what to do next.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
You could take it to my gunsmith - Otto. His shop is in Afton. Or, you could bring it by the range some time and let me take a look.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to sending the gun to OttoComp. Have heard he is the best 1911 smith around. The force of the blast warped the frame as there is a slight gap between the slide and dustcover. If anyone out there is foolish enough to forego wearing safety glasses, the powder burns to my face should be warning enough. Without them, I most likely would have had damage to my eyesight. It drew blood to my cheeks and nose! I also took a reloading instructor course to focus better on techniques and safety.

·
Old Sheepdog
772 Posts
If you'd like, I'll pick it up and test shoot it for you.

Just kidding.

Good luck. If it can be fixed, Otto is the one to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was your cartridge Nuclear ?

What the heck was it a handload or some squib that slipped through QC at the MFG... If so I'd be talking to a lawyer. IMHO
I talked to a gunsmith in Silex last week Bob's I think got him out of the phonebook he's closer to your neck of the woods. Glad your semi-ok and to see a couple of guys from the area.

Michael

·
1911auto Supporters
340 Posts
What the heck was it a handload or some squib that slipped through QC at the MFG... If so I'd be talking to a lawyer. IMHO
I talked to a gunsmith in Silex last week Bob's I think got him out of the phonebook he's closer to your neck of the woods. Glad your semi-ok and to see a couple of guys from the area.

Michael
He said it was a double charged "hand load"

and since he said he took a reloader instruction coarse to help "focus" better, I'm ASSuming he was the one responsible for the double charge.

re-loading isn't particularly complicated, but with things that go "BANG", one can't be too cautious imHo.
I visually inspect 100% of powder charges before i seat the bullet.
If not for that practice, I'd of had mucho squibs and more than a couple double charges

Glad there was no "serious" physical injury, S-o-Sarge

..L.T.A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.