1911 Forums : 1911Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose that there be a directory of sorts listed in the GS & A section with links to Pistolsmiths, Custom Shops, Gripmakers, coating or plating services etc...

I'd suspect that alot of well established 'smiths wouldn't be chiming in to call attention to themselves but if it was okay with Admin perhaps contributions to the list could be compiled for potential customers in need of services.

It may be helpful to have a brief bio or highlight specialties or services offered.

Whattya think?:crazy:

I know it would probably be daunting but I haven't seen it on other forums although a few 'sites have something similar. It may come up in search engines and help 1911auto get on the map.

Just thought I'd offer the idea.

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Not a bad idea Robert, good idea in fact.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I support this proposal wholeheartedly. I have done research on my own to learn of 1911 pistol smith`s in my area, and so far, while the quality of the few recommended seems to be excellent, they are not accepting new work at this time. Further investigation on my own has netted the name of another nearby and closer one. If a listing goes up, I will submit his name also, with his permission of course.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I am 100% for it also. Who's gonna start?

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for considering the notion, and especially for welcoming it as a good idea.

I'd suggest a little brainstorming on what the ground rules should be, here are a few wishy washy particulars off the top of my head for starters. It is up to mods and admins to make the calls as far as I am concerned, I just think it is best to lay a few ground rules ahead of time rather than introduce something half baked and have it go askew and try to rein it in later.

Just my $.02

1. All intros and entries could/should be added to an intial post as they come in or perhaps on a weekly basis as time allows. I might nominate the forum mod for the upkeep of the initial post.

2. There could be some groundrules for bio content and permitted contact info stickied in the GS & A subforum that must be reead and checked prior to posting.

3. Should individuals or vendors need to be contacted prior to being listed? Some may not want to have their phone ring off the hook because they were named as the best bang for the buck on 1911Auto GS & A directory. (Required bad pun)

4. Would it be bad form to paste in directories in whole or in part from other sources? Here is what I think about this personally; While there is no real shortage of information on the WWW there is a shortage of trustworthy testimonials regarding service quality, price, demeanor etc...

That is all I have offhand, I'm glad the concept is well recieved and just want to avoid any SNAFU's if at all possible.

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link Swampertwo but this is the suggestion forum not the actual place where the list will reside. It remains to be seen what 1911auto forum will do with such information but you have helped illustrate my reserves. Don't take offense if I use your link as an example okay?

What that link takes you to is a rifle & Pistol club and while there is a great deal of information there it is hardly 1911 specific and the viewer is left to peruse about 80 sites that are meant to advertise, some of which don't pertain to pistols at all let alone 1911's. Take Lazzeroni for example, or [gasp] Comiolli custom... home of manual safety conversion for Glock pistol! :D Just making light of it but my point is that the directory should ideally be limited to what the parent forum is about. 1911's and 1911 work. Of course some of the 'smiths will work on more but I'd suggest the nonrelated links be omitted.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Give me a little while, maybe a few days, to come up with something and I will bounce if off the staff and see where it goes. Then we will take submissions.

It will probably be a little after the 1'st as I will be working, and am starting a little, on what the forum will look like after new years. I'm not just putting you off as it's a good idea.

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate that Jerry,

you are giving it the level of consideration I would hope for since I highly respect some of the individuals who should be on such a list and have hopes that it wouldn't be innundated with "Joes' Online House of Ammo" or "Outdoor World" type links that are just making the list to sell product.

I realize and am grateful that you guys are trying not to be Forum Nazis overmoderating everything it is just that I hope that this new list could hopefully not just become another smattering of near useless hyperlinks.

I hope I am making something that resembles sense in my effort to get my point across as a user albeit I have not been into 1911's that long. I have been pretty active on other Forums regarding motorcycles and Cowboy Action Shooting.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

CAS

aka = Robert

·
COTEP door greeter
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here are the top 100 by state Pistolsmiths in the country.

http://www.americanhandgunner.com/Club100.html
'Vic

That Sir is a pretty cool list and well formatted.

I really wish somebody from MN cared to make their living by being on it. Actually there is a pretty big void in the upper midwest.

There is alot to be said for looking a man in the eye when you tell him what you want done or thank him for a job well done. At least to me there is, maybe I am a little old school for 36 but I would rather explain my concerns & hand my weapon to a 'smith personally than to have Fed Ex or UPS deliver it and correspond via email or telephone.

·
Banned
1,461 Posts
Here are 2 in your state

'Vic

That Sir is a pretty cool list and well formatted.

I really wish somebody from MN cared to make their living by being on it. Actually there is a pretty big void in the upper midwest.

There is alot to be said for looking a man in the eye when you tell him what you want done or thank him for a job well done. At least to me there is, maybe I am a little old school for 36 but I would rather explain my concerns & hand my weapon to a 'smith personally than to have Fed Ex or UPS deliver it and correspond via email or telephone.

Address: 3621 88TH AVE NE CIRCLE PINES, MN 55014 USA Voice: 1-763-792-4867 Fax: 1-763-784-7648 URL: http://www.your-domain-name.us Email: [email protected] Contact: JEFF KEMPFKeywords: GUN DEALER, GUNSMITHS, PISTOLSMITH, SHOOTING RANGE, RIFLES, SHOTGUNS GUN PARTS, AMMO, SCOPES, AMMO,
Listing ID: 12095

Address: 3669 Koivula Road Hibbing, MN 55746 USA Voice: 1-218-969-5506 Fax: 1-218-263-7307 URL: http://www.northernshootersupply.com Email: [email protected]Keywords: Accessories, Custom Rifles, FFL, Gunsmith, Handguns, Long Guns, Pistolsmith, Scopes, DuraCoat Firearmrms Finisher, Shotguns, Cast Bullets, Gun Parts,
Listing ID: 24039

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Just letting you guys know that I haven't forgotten about this. I will get to it sooner or later.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope I am making something that resembles sense in my effort to get my point across as a user albeit I have not been into 1911's that long. I have been pretty active on other Forums regarding motorcycles and Cowboy Action Shooting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.