New Colt Delta Elite 10mm

Discussion in 'Colt Mfg.' started by jowens58, Feb 9, 2015.

1. jowens58

jowens58 New Member

Went out and bought a colt delta elite 10mm earlier today. Really excited about it. Cant wait for my 1st range visit. Have a ria tact 2011 in a 10mm and absolutly love it. Cant wait to shoot some full power loads. Any suggestion on handloads. Using blue dot and accurate #9 along with hornady 180gr xtp and rainier 180gr. hollow point.

2. tsp45acp

tsp45acp Old Sheepdog Forum Supporter

Congrats on the new Delta. Never used either BD or #9. Only used Longshot w/Penn 180 gr fpl bullets. My "hot" load is 8.8 of Longshot....on the warm side, but still about .5 under a max load.

3. tigerwrangler

tigerwrangler Member

Congrats. Now to refresh my memory as no one i shoot with has a 10mm. Is it like a 40 caliber short or a 40 long?

4. Super Trucker

Super Trucker
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

The 10mm was first, some pansy FBI agents couldn't handle it so Smith & Wesson developed the .40S&W for the FBI.
    Both rounds use the same bullet with .40 having a smaller case. Think .38 & .357mag.

The phrase 40 "Short & Weak" comes from the 10mm crowd making fun of the neutered .40 round.

5. jowens58

jowens58 New Member

The 10mm is a blast to shoot. Like it so much i have 3 now. A kimber custom tle, a colt delta elite and a ria tact. 2011. I also load these toward the upper end Using blue dot and accurate #9. I will carry one as a sidearm this coming deer season. Got rid of my 40's as i wont need them anymore. I hear of the 10mm fanatics, well guess i am one now. Want the feeling of power in a semi auto then try a 10mm.

6. cigarman454

cigarman454 Member

Congrats on your new 10mm. Awesome round.

7. BigHead

BigHead New Member

It is one of the best pistols out there, and I don't know how Colt has screwed up its marketing like it has.
    The Delta Elite should be a big seller, and instead, you hardly hear about it.

8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Member

They are nice. Like a 357 or 44 mag you can load them up or down. I found a 90 Delta Gold Cup a few years ago. I did replace the rubber wrap around grips with some wood stocks from Altamont as Colt was still grooving the front of the frame back then. Colts do not have fully supported barrels so I would avoid really hot handloads in them.

[​IMG]

A little off thread but in 2011 I found a lightly shot 2009 DW Classic in 10mm. This does have a ramped or fully supported barrel.

[​IMG]

Actually I am thinking of a revolver in 10mm next, although it will be an older pre owned one like a S&W 610. There is a 10mm forum if you are really interested in 10mm.

10mm-firearms.com - Index

9. wag65

wag65 New Member

I'm looking to get a DE 10mm. I'm told to get one after the frames stopped cracking. Can I get some info on this?

10. tsp45acp

Cracking frames was only on the first year models.....if very low serial # , blued model. Mine is a 2cnd year (1988) year model. Get one and enjoy.

11. wag65

wag65 New Member

Cool. Just the first year? I'm gonna start researching, but are the newer ones made as well or not as well as earlier ones, after the flaw was fixed?

12. tsp45acp

The rest are fine. The newest version has Novak sites, a real beavertail and a decent trigger. I want one REAL bad, but unfortunately other priorities are first.
    To make sure that you get one that won't Crack, take the slide off and look to see if it has the cutout/metal removed above the slide stop hole. The left side rail will be in 2 sections instead of a sold rail like on the right side.

wag65 likes this.
  13. wag65

wag65 New Member

I got a new one from Gator Guns in Sulphur, La. it's new. Me happy. I believe I've been buying Tripp mags for my RIA 10mm. Is that still the best option?

14. wag65

wag65 New Member

What modifications would y'all suggest for the 10? Change mainspring?

15. wag65

wag65 New Member

Sorry. Recoil spring? Is it true the factory spring is 18.5 lbs? And should I drop down to a 16 lb?