Llama Firearms

Discussion in 'General firearms discussions' started by Wonabet, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Wonabet

Wonabet New Member

Does anyone know what happened to Llama firearms. I don't see them on any of the sites. I was trying to replace a clip and was told they were out of business. I have a Llama semi 380 that I had bought around 1975.
  2. ZeroTA

ZeroTA I need a vacation Forum Supporter

All your answers are right here. Llama had introduced some good double-stacks in the early 90's, but Bill Clinton's AWB pretty much killed them. I believe that almost single-handedly killed the company.
  3. Wonabet

Wonabet New Member

Zero TA, thanks very much for the link on Llama. The history was not only very interesting but as an added bonus it also contained the pistol i own. Thanks again.
  4. AZ Husker

AZ Husker New Member Forum Supporter

It wasn't Clinton that killed Llama, it was their poor quality. They pretended to be to specifications with standard builders, but were off. Cheap materials too. Several Spanish builders have tried to take their place, but have suffered the same quality issues, and are gone.
  5. michael t

michael t New Member

bEEN GONE CLOSED DOORS In i THINK 2005 . Poorly made pistols and they paid the price.
    Need to go looking for a used mag. Don't think you will find a new one.
  6. Wonabet

Wonabet New Member

Llama pistol

Thanks for the reply Michael t, Im looking to buy the CZ97BD for my truck carry pistol. I'll ask them if I can get something for the Llama, and hope I don't get laughed at.
  7. sonofsarge

sonofsarge New Member

I bought one online for my .380 but can't remember where. Are you referring to the model IIIA? I have the .380,.32, and .22 versions. Let me know if you want to sell yours.
  8. Wonabet

Wonabet New Member

Llama

Sonofsarge, thanks for the reply. I'll be holding onto the Llama 380, once i acquire a firearm, I hold on to them. I use it now and then at the range and haven't had any problems yet. I have heard a lot of negative feedback, but I like the feel. I could do without the grip safety, not a fan of that.
  9. tmaca

tmaca New Member

Personally, I htink that the IIIA is about the best gun they ever made. Had a 1964 IIIA .380 for my first off duty gun when I became a cop in the '70s, never had a problem with it. Just got a 1996, the quality is definitely down, but on non-functional stuff, and it still feeds and shoots well. If you buy a LLama, it's best to try for 1975 or earlier. And after about 1985, it's really iffy - you might get a piece of junk, or a good gun. It's a gamble.

I just got a couple IIIA mags from someone on gunbroker.com. Just do a search for Llama, and go through the listings that come up, you'll find them. Triple K also makes some Llama mags, that's where I got some for my Model XIB 9mm. You can also find various caliber Llama mags at most gun shows, and .45, 9mm, and .380 Colt mags will work in some Llamas, mainly the earlier models that look just like a 1911. I don't know if they work in any of the Omni or Max models at all. About the only caliber Llama mag I've been unable to ever find is a 9mm Largo, but I've heard that the .38 Super and 9mm Largo mags are interchangeable, and I have found some .38 Super mags at gun shows.
  10. Wonabet

Wonabet New Member

Llama

Thanks TMACA,the Fort Myers Gun Show is coming in Dec. i'm sure i'll find a few there. Appreciate the info.
  11. tmaca

tmaca New Member

Llama mags

Good place to look, but if you can, search the net first. Just Google Llama magazines, lama mags, or just plain Llama. The mags at gun shows are never cheap, they're always at least as much as they are on line, and, depending on the particular mag, sometimes more.

If you need .380 mags for a IIIA, go to gunbroker.com and search for "Llama magazines". You'll get 7 or 8 listings from some guy called reddogxx who sells them 2 at a time for $36.99, which is a great price. I guarantee it's less than you'd pay at any gun show. All of the Llama mags I've seen at gun shows have cost between $42 and $46 each. I have a pair of his IIIA mags, and they work fine.

And if you search "Llama magazine" (singular instead of plural), you'll get a whole bunch or other listings in all different calibers, priced as low as $19 each.
  12. 67ride

67ride New Member

.380 Grip Screws

I have a llama .380 with one missing grip screw. Can anyone tell me how I can get my hands on replacements? I can find grips but no grip screws and I'm not sure the screws come with grips. Thanks
Search tags for this page
is llama firearms still in business
lama pistols
llama arms

llama firearms

llama firearms official website
'llama firearms still in business
llama firearms website
llama guns
llama guns website
llama handguns
llama pistol for carry