How many of you old retired farts would go back in tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Military, Veterans and LEO' started by Lazyeyedpsycho, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tlc361

tlc361 New Member

I started trying to get back in in 2001 after I got my MBA but well before 911. After 911 I ramped up my efforts to be involved even in a support position. Atlast due to my multiple injuries and physical limitations they continued to say no.

I kept thinking, put me on a desk, hand me a 45 and stand a M16 in the corner and free up some one else for the field, but no go. I got out in 1985.

2. coyotemoon

coyotemoon New Member

Got out in 65, but would go back right now if I could "Love the smell of jet fuel in the morning"

3. boutaswell

boutaswell New Member

Not sure I could bend to the current "social engineering" rules in place right now. There have definitely been times I wish I was back in. There are just some things about being military that you just can't find in the civilian world.

4. Leatherman-Cowboy

Leatherman-Cowboy New Member

Left after 3 years-1986.I miss the honor and closeness,but would not trade that for the wonderful years I have had with my 5 grand kids.
    I do wish people would keep their word in the free world,but all we can do is stick to the values we was taught in the service of our country.
    Thank you,
    Henry

5. TankerHC

TankerHC New Member

I was standing in the VA on 9/11. I went ahead and did my first post retirement physical then went straight home and called to come back off retirement. They said, thanks but we have enough troops. Then I get this certificate in the mail from DoD thanking me for volunteering my services. Three months later I get an email from some female major asking me if I want to come back in. I had 10 good job offers and the day after I retired walked right into a Management position but thought heck yea, I coming back. So I called the number she emailed me and this is what she tells me.

If you come back:
    You cannot go back on the 8 list.
    You are not eligible for promotion.
    You cannot deploy, you will stay Stateside.

When I asked her what I would be doing I was told I would be doing pre-deployment briefings at Camp Shelby, MS and possibly issuing out equipment. No thanks.

Thats was 2001, in 2004 (I had a lot of friends contracting and still are contracting) I had one of my friends call me from Kuwait and ask if I wanted to get back in uniform and make some big bucks. I figured, I am already making good money and well into a second career, until he told me how much I would be making. I wrote up my resignation letter and handed it to the VP who was none too happy about it. In the next nine months I made more money than the previous 4 years combined. And I was back in uniform, living in tents in the desert and working with the troops again. Teaching CQB, Convoy Ops and a bunch of other things. Until one day I realized I am too old for this. This really is a young mans game. The day I arrived in country it was around 120 outside, during issue they handed me my body Armor, I looked at the supply guy and asked seriously "This is a joke right?". That vest felt like it weighed 200 pounds. Nope, thats how much these new vests weigh. It of course wasnt 200 pounds but the heaviest thing I had worn up to then was the old VN era flack jacket and later the ultra light Kevlar vest. 120 degrees out (Not as hot as the first time I was over there, but still hot) and the gear weighed almost as much as I did and I had been sitting in an Air Conditioned office doing ZERO PT for the last 3 1/2 years.

But if Duty Called, I would be back in the hatch tomorrow.

6. PJ01

PJ01 New Member

Would if I could, too old and out of shape now. Spent 2 years active, Vietnam, 11 more in reserves then Family called. Best people and leadership I have seen to date. Son-in-law on 5th deployment now, 13 years in Marines. Makes me very proud that there are many your people today that really do care.

7. ADAM 2

ADAM 2 Member

Retired in 92 after 20 years of service. Never wanted to go back.

8. mhans

mhans New Member

if I was called to duty, and I mean a noble duty, I will sign up. But If called to serve the UN or do other bull**** missions, then no. I do miss the military sometimes

9. TimHecht

TimHecht Member

Old fart? I retired from active duty on 6/1/2001 after 30 years of active duty. For the last 9-1/2 years I've been working 6 day work weeks as a Customs and Border Protection Officer on the northern border. Eight hour days and mandatory overtime when needed. I'll be 61 next week, have two artificial knees, two coronary artery stents, a titanium plate and screws in my neck, degenerative lumbar disc disease, and still do more then my fair share of the work. Keep up junior.

I'm like the old bull on the hill looking over the cows down below when a junior bull walks up and says "let's run down the hill and have our way with a cow each." My reply is son, let's walk down the hill and have them all!

10. bubbinator

bubbinator Member

Been a LEO (Air Police) since I was 17. Retired from a State Police agency in 2008 with 42.5 yrs. carrying a gun and dealing with increasingly incompetent asshole leaders. I'm done. All administrators do today is chase bull$hit federal funding for bull$hit federal projects to sustain their useless positions.
    We had a federal "task force" come in to see our operation on "Preventing Tobacco sales to minors"-5 people in town from DC. They were pissed off because we did not have an "Operation SOP" for Minor Tobacco Sales. I told her "Lady- we just took down a major crack cocaine dealer, armed with a full-auto M-16 and 3 of his associates, also armed, seized 11 kilos of cocaine worth 10s of thousands of dollars, no one got shot and the bad guys are in jail and we did every bit of it without a single peep from Washington DC! WTF do we need an OP PLAN to buy cigarettes for? We got a bad report from the feds. Impeach Obama!

9kredline and Ratpacker like this.
  11. Old Padre

Old Padre New Member

I'd go back to if I could. But fellows we just might have to. We might have to go to D.C. and run the bunch out of town. Vets did it before, we may need to do it again. Cocked, Locked, and ready in GA

12. kodos00

kodos00 New Member

Did my 20, but miss it sometimes. It is nice to go home every night.

13. IFFV68

IFFV68 New Member

I was Drafted on June 21,1967.
    Eight weeks Ft. Bliss Texas, eight weeks Ft. Sill Oklahoma, Ten day latter I woke up in Vietnam. Arty, 6th. BN, 14th Arty. 175 MM Self Propelled Gun, Guns have Rifling. 8Inch Self Propelled Howitzer, Howitzer are Smooth Bore.
    Pleiku, Central Highlands. Artillery Hill, IFFV, ( First Field Forces Vietnam) A.P.O. 96318.
    I volunteered to be a Door Gunner after TET of 1968 at Camp Holloway , but was talked out of it. Good or Bad decision, who really knows? I loved those Helicopters...
    I made Sergeant E-5 with about Five months left in the Army at Ft. Usless Virginia. . My D.D.-214 say active Duty One Year, Eleven Months and Twenty nine days.
    Back then they would keep you in the States for One Year and send You back to Vietnam.
    No I wouldn't go back in.
    The Rules of Engagement have changed. Not like Vietnam was. We were told if we see someone shoot at him, I'm sorry, or her..
    I may have used my Luck up? over there?
    Thank You for asking.
    Nov.1967-Nov. 1968
    I miss the guys but not the Heat.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017