GSG 1911 Reviews?

Discussion in 'Rimfire weapons' started by gizmo, Jul 22, 2010.

1. gizmo

gizmo 1911auto Forum Supporter Forum Supporter

Anyone tried one out, compared it with a Puma (or Ruger mkIII 22/45 w/1911 grips)? I'm thinking about picking one up to reduce my ammo bill!:bawling:

2. El Pistolero

El Pistolero
    Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

No, but they sure sound pretty cool. If I were to get a .22 I would definitely check one out. Maybe someone has tried one of these.

3. girphoto

girphoto New Member

Hi Jerry
    Just picked one up today at the local monthly gun show in Palm Beach Florida. Had a Chiappa 22 LR to use for less expensive work outs. But the guns safety tube, spring & plunger keeps on shooting out of the gun. Plus I did not find the quality very good IMHO.
    However, the GSG-199 takes don like a nice 1911. Feels like a 1911 and has sights that can be adjusted and changed if needed (comes with two addition front sights that can be changed)..
    Well, I will take it to the range on Monday and back with a range report soon after.
    The only problem is that it comes with 1 mag (metal not plastic) and although I did find a source for additional mag's at $30/each is a little steep for 22LR mag's (the double stack Wilson Mag's for my WIlson Spec-Ops 9 only cost me $32.00 ) and they hold 16 rd's of 9mm.
    More to follow..........

4. El Pistolero

El Pistolero
    Administrator

Thanks GP, keep us posted please.

5. girphoto

girphoto New Member

Well, we went to the range yesterday...I had read, that you must check and make sure that the spring is in correctly, otherwise, it will jam and lock up the guns!!!!

I loaded my mag (only have one for now) with 22LR, 36 gr, Federal Bulk Box (550 rds from Walmart) and started my exercise and to see how she shot.
    Did I mention, that the same thread on the spring also said to carry the set of Alan-wrenches in your bag (they are metric, you know).
    Back to shooting, First 6 rounds were fine and than it JAMED!! LOCKED UP!!! WOULD NOT MOVE!!!!
    Now I have been around guns for a long time and 1911's for a long time. I did take it down when I brought it home on Saturday and gave it a full cleaning. It went back together all right with a good oiling...worked the slide...No Problem.... After reading the article, I said "do I have the spring in correctly???" Well sure I do......WRONG!!! (never be so sure that you don't double check).
    I reached into my range bag, when I realized that I had left the wrenches on my desk in my office......
    Went to the range owner (who also is a custom gunsmith) and borrowed a set of metric wrenches (mine are in the bag NOW!).
    I did get it apart, spring was jammed but after a while of some good 4 letter words and a lot of coaxing it came apart (to the applause of those in the range watching me).
    A few minutes to get back together and it was back to shooting. I ran through 120 or so rounds after that with out a single problem (NO FTF, FTE, STOVE PIPES, NOTHING!!).
    This is a great 22 to practice with all shooting was done at 25 feet and by the end, I was shooting a group of about 2 1/2 inches on 20 rounds)
    This Friday it will go to the rage again, an I will bring back some targets that I will shoot at different distances and stages of practice (and post).

I sent my Chiappa (today) back to the factory to have work done on it (another story) and should have it back in about 2 weeks. I will than do a side by side test, with photos and report back.
    Thanks for reading......

6. El Pistolero

El Pistolero
    Administrator

Great that you got it running good and thanks for posting your experience, it will probably help someone else.

7. girphoto

girphoto New Member

New GSG-1911 with Larry Davidson grips

New GSG-1911 with Larry Davidson grips
    Well it was the second trip to the range with the GSG-1911 and my New Larry Davidson G-10 Sunburst grips. I find in the hot weather in Southern Florida, That the G-10's work best and a simple wipe down and ready to go. I also have a set on my carry guns, so that I am practicing with the sam feel as what I carry.

First here is the GSG-1911

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This was my second trip with Federal 22 LR., 36 gr High Velocity Bulk 550 rounds that I purchased from Walmart.

The first target was at 25' and after shooting 100 rds of 9mm.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The second target was at 30' and shot rapid fire.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The third target was at 50' and a combination of slow fire and rapid fire.

[​IMG][/IMG]

There was a total of 160 rounds fired (took a while only have 1 mag at this time). There were no PROBLEMS, NO FTF, NO FTE, NO STOVE PIPES, NOTHING.
    The only problem that I have is getting use to not be able to Ride the thumb safety as I do with all of my other 1911's.

I think that for the 1911 shooter that does not want to spend for a conversion kit, you can get an entire gun that shoots and handles like your everyday carry or range gun.
    Sights on the gun is as they came and I have no intention of changing them (except trying the different heights on the front).

Thanks for reading......:wavey:

8. gizmo

gizmo 1911auto Forum Supporter Forum Supporter

Thanks a bunch! This is great information. The grips make that gun look like a $7 sandwich!

9. usmc66

usmc66 New Member

I got one about 3 months ago. It is marked Sig and has Sig grips, but it is a GSG. I love the gun and have not had a single hiccup. It is a lot of fun to shoot and the groups are very good. To me, there is no comparison between it and the Chiappa.

10. Bigray

Bigray New Member

I love my GSG 1911, and haven't had any problems with it (other than having to drop the extra coin for a couple of spare mags). I also love my GSG STG44 in .22LR, although it definitely prefers high-velocity ammo for cycling the action. Probably the coolest .22 rifle you're ever going to see, too.

Attached Files:

11. jumperj

jumperj New Member

My GSG 1911 runs "Eley Match" and "CCI Mini Mags" flawlessly. Put "Federal Premium Target" ammo in it... Too many FTE, and Stovepipes to count. No likie. After 40 rounds, went back to my CCI's. Guess 1080fps isn't enough to cycle. I'll stick with the HV's on this pistol.

12. druryj

druryj New Member

This is from a review on my GSG 1911-22 I posted in okshooters.com some moths ago. I Love this gun!

I got one of these pistols on sale for $246, shipped, from Palmetto State Armory. I also got 2 extra mags from CDDN for $20 each. Took her out this morning and fired 710 rounds. Yes; that's right; 710 rounds over the course of a long, hot, but awesome time shooting this very nice 1911-22. Out of all 710; I had just 1 problem; 1 round failed to feed; it went nose up on me as it tried to chamber, and that was a CCI standard velocity lead RN boolet. Imma chalk it up to a bad round...I spent a great morning making steel go ping and bowling pins swing! Of the 710, the first 250 were CCI 40 gr mini mag RN and the rest was an assortment: CCI Standard, a few CCI Stingers, Fed 36 gr hp, (both red box and blue box), Aguila 40 gr, some regular old cheap Blazers, she even digested a bunch of crappy old Rem Golden Turdos! I punched the bore a few times and wiped off the bolt face and extractor as well a time or 2. I cleaned her up last night, used grease on the rails and oil on the rest of her. I did break it in pretty wet and she is 1 dirty pistol right now for sure. I'm very pleased with this gun! This GSG has been one of my best buys in a long long time. If you like 1911 pistols, the GSG might be a good low cost trainer to consider. I'm a happy guy with mine that's for sure.

Update: Put a CW Accessories Performance Enhancement Kit in it and a CW First Strike Firing pin. The gun now has some 5,000+ rounds down the tube as of this last weekend, is an excellent trainer, and runs superbly. It does not care at all what ammo I give it now. The trigger has smoothed out very, very nicely. The finish is completely worn, ( I helped remove the last of it with some spray remover from Lowes ) so she looks parkerized now. but runs great that's for sure. I'm going to shoot it until it dies beyond fixing., if that happens, and then buy another one! Any questions?