Firing pin block

Discussion in 'Para-Ordnance' started by redmonster13, Dec 23, 2007.

1. redmonster13

redmonster13 New Member

I know the para uses the same firing pin safety as the 80 series colts, so my question is should I let my gunsmith remove it?

He is bugging me to remove it but it doesnt bother me and it hasnt caused any problems. He wants to do a trigger job and insists that I will make his life much easier if he can just remove the parts. He says he can make the trigger really nice with the parts still in place but it will be a bit more time consuming and aggravating.

Keep in mind that he does my work for free because we are old friends.
  2. Bud White

Bud White New Member

Carry gun or no ? on a carry gun i say no leave the parts in anytime you are disabling a safety device it looks bad..

now on a range gun only i dont see it as that big of a deal
  3. redmonster13

redmonster13 New Member

It is a carry gun at the moment, I will be replacing it with a custom that the very same smith is building. That does sound like good advice bud, for now it will have to remain as it came from the factory.
  4. Bud White

Bud White New Member

I will say i have never heard of anyone going to jail with that as a reason on a shooting but again I prefer not to Dane with the Devil
  5. El Pistolero

El Pistolero
    Administrator
    Staff Member Forum Supporter

There are lots of thoughts on this but in the case of taking someting out to make it like any other series 70 style gun out there I doubt very seriously would stand up in court.

I thik you would have a problem with disabling the grip or thumb safety, but the majority of guns out there are 70 series styel. Now if there was nothing out there but series 80's then I would worry about it more.

That being said I take series 80 stuff out of any 1911 I own and put a tj's shim in. I'm not worried about it in the least. The trigger does get a little lighter so it's a cheap trigger job.
  6. Reconvic

Reconvic New Member

I agree if you want a series 70 gun buy one, I don't think a good mouthpiece would help you for tampering with safteies of a gun if something happens. I would not carry one for S/D.
  7. I see the series 80 as totally unnecessary, so I say let him do it.
  8. kimberguy2004

kimberguy2004 New Member

I'm a little surprised that a smith would remove aby safety device, but if he will, let him do it. Also Dawson sells a kit for the series 80's that helps trigger pull in the event you want to keep the safety..
  9. 1 C.C.G.

1 C.C.G. New Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Besides, a good 'smith can perform a very nice trigger job with series 80 parts. Just my 2 cents.
Search tags for this page

does para ordnance 1911 expert have firing pin block

para 1911 firing pin safety block

para ordanance 1911 expert firing pin safety

para ordanance 1911 firing pin

para ordnance firing pin block

para ordnance firing pin safety