Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello everyone! Thoughts on the 9x25 Dillon?

Hi everyone, I am new to post, but have been reading for awhile. I have three 1911's, Kimber Tactical Custom II in .45, and two Dan Wessons PM7 and CBOB in 10mm. I am thinking of a long range medium game hunter and target gun. I have been looking at Bobs work with longslides and was wondering about that 9x25 Dillon that DoubleTap sells. Any ideas? I am thinking black frame with tactical rail and scope mount in ion bond, stainless accents and slide with two barrels in 9x25 Dillon and 10mm. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

First----Welcome to the forum.

Call Bob & Dale. They can answer all your questions. I think a longslide in 9X25 would work great. Little recoil & tons of velocity. Tracy
    Tracy # 73
    1988 Colt Delta Elite Blued
    2001 Colt LTW SS Commander XSE
    2003 Colt Gunsite SS w/Trijicon Nite Sites
    1995 Colt Special Combat ( carry version---Blued w/nite sites) Wife's gun
    1998 SA Longslide comped bbl-45 Super/45-08 Armco
    1997 SA V-10 Wife's gun
    04/98 Lee Pro 1000
    2009 DoubleStar AR-15 (1/9twist)
    2013 Road Glide Ultra

I for one, would love to see that build.

Why would you want 2 barrels? Preference for the 10?
    Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well and use them sparingly.

I have been collecting 10mms since I first obtained my permit 17 years ago. My first was a sweet S&W 1026 that was stolen last summer along with a pair of Glocks (20&29) among others (10 guns in all). I am buying back my collection as money permits. I currently have a Glock 29, S&W 610 4" barrel and the previously mentioned Wessons in 10mm. I reload for it and was thinking of a 6" longslide in 10mm for hunting. I like the looks of the Kimber CDP but own a Kimber and don't think they are worth the extra cost over the Dan Wesson or S&W 1911's (I miss my DK1911). I would love to try a custom 1911 next.

Oh and thanks for the welcome Tracy, its great to read the conversations you guys have here. Very nice to see the opinions voiced and discussed without the juvenile retorts that I see on other post sites. Scott

I think the biggest problem with the 9x25mm is going to be finding bullets that will hold up at uber velocities; kinda like the 10mm. I load for the 10mm (G20 & G20 SF), also with KKM 6" barrel, plus the .400 CorBon and .38Super. What I like about the Super is that it can be handloaded using 9mm, .356cal and .357mag design bullets. The 124gr/125gr JHPs hold up well running in the mid 1400s, but I don't know at what velocity they'll break down.

Bullet life in game animals is about two revolutions and this pic gives an example of cavitation levels based upon bullet construction;

Here's an example of .40 S&W bullet designs after penetrating one water bottle and terminating in caliche clay (like cement). Both the 165gr Gold Dot on the left and 165gr Golden Saber (right) were loaded with 12.0grs AA #7/10mm. The GS retained its original weight and showed optimum expansion; however, the GD weighed in at 142.0grs with the forward part of the bullet blown off.

Going back to the 9x25mm, you would need to test different 9mm bullet designs at a much higher velocity design difference than the .40S&W/10mm difference.

Speer states their 155gr Gold Dot is designed for high velocity. Pic is modest .400 CorBon velocity (L) one water bottle/caliche clay test, (R) is straight water bottle/s test - 0.641".

Handloaded, the .38Super is no slouch and I've carried this caliber in active mountain lion areas in a concealable M1911 platform - liver sized groups at 160yds with practice FMJs.

This 9mm 147gr Winchester JHP notched bullet loaded at .38Super velocities blew this very large hole in 1/2" pressed wood that was holding a 1/10" hard steel barrier and four one gallon water bottles;

Here are some recoil numbers comparing a M1911/.38Super vs G17/9mm;

G17 22oz. 124gr Golden Saber 1273fps; 8.6grs HS-7
    Recoil = 9.21ft/lbs, 20.8fps.
    147gr Winchester JHP notched 1164fps, 6.6grs 3N38
    Recoil = 9.55ft/lbs, 21.1fps

Now an example of gunpowder manipulation to control slide speed/recoil, by changing powder burn rates from HS-7 to WSF, slightly more velocity is gained using less powder and resulting in less recoil.

M1911 Colt 39oz. .38 Super

124gr Golden Saber 1445fps, 9.7grs HS-7;
    Recoil = 6.7ft/lbs, 13.29fps.

124gr Golden Saber 1455fps, 8.0grs WSF,
    Recoil = 6.22ft/lbs, 12.81fps.

If you finally decide on the 9x25mm build; it'll be interesting to see which bullets hold up the best.

Keep in touch.

Bob
    NRA Life Member since '67

"The soundest strategy in war is to postpone operations until the moral disintegration of the enemy renders the delivery of the mortal blow both possible and easy."
    - V. I. Lenin, Russian revolutionary leader

Bob, first I would like to thank you for the time and effort explaining all of this to me. I am new at the hyper velocity semi's and find all that information both interesting and daunting. I am not too worried about recoil, as one of my favorite guns to shoot is a 4" S&W 500. I have a shoulder holster and if I were to go into bad bear country would probably just strap that on with some 300gr hornady ftx loads. For high velocity 9x25 Dillon loads I was thinking of just some quality fmjs for paper or the barnes solid copper for hunting/defense. I have had good luck with the Barnes X in the 500 and can't see where the Dillon would be that much worse. I may be wrong though, any ideas? The reason I have looked at the Dillon instead of a 38 super has more to do with the interchangeability with a normal 10mm gun. I am tempted to try a Bar sto barrel in my glock before jumping into a full custom. What I am after is a carry gun capable of 150 yd performance.

9x25 Dillon?

I have a Glock 29 with 4 barrels: 10mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and 9x25 Dillon.

Only the 9x25 Dillon barrel is ported. It is a great shooting cartridge; a 10mm case necked down to 9mm. I have it loaded with the Double Tap 125 grain Speer Gold Dots at 1,600 or so fps. Very manageable and an accurate round. Dillon developed it for competitive shooting to make major caliber with a 9mm bullet. It is flat shooting and hits hard and I like it. I bet in my Delta Elite, if I could get a barrel it would be a great carry round...

I took a nice sized buck last winter with a 10mm longslide Fusion at about 70 yards, bullet was a 180gr Remington Golden Saber. I didn't think to photo or weigh the bullet after removed, but the jacket was intact and it looked like it retained the vast majority of it's weight. I was very pleased with it's performance. Although if Barnes had some 180gr solid copper bullets I'd use those for hunting, certainly not plinking though!

The 9x25 looks to be a pretty cool round too, wonder if it has armor pentration of something like a 7.62x25, or if it's diameter is too big? Does anybody make a 147gr solid copper .355 bullet? If so I bet that would be the ticket for 9x25 hunting.

Hi guys..

I mentioned to Bob tonight about the 9x25 issue being discussed here. He told me to tell you guys that right now we are very busy () getting orders filled and the 9x25 caliber may have to wait. He did say that the possibility in the not to distant future is something to think about.

Keep the ideas coming though, we are listening!

Dale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads